Cookbox Black Paint

John-NY

TVWBB Pro
I purchased this Rust O Leum High Heat Black Paint.

I was surprised that when I sprayed it on the cookbox, it barely did anything to cover the chipped area.

The area on the right (painters tape photo) is where I sprayed it.

So then I did a test spray on a piece of paper and it also just came out looking almost clear and gray, hardly black or thick at all.

Am I doing it wrong? Did I get a bad can of paint?
IMG_7120.jpeg

IMG_7119.jpeg

Outside of you not shaking the can long enough ( I doubt it ) I can't think of a reason why that is happening. The spots on the white paper look a little more normal.

I don’t think so, but I really just want to confirm with people that use it, that it should definitely not look like it does.

Either not shaken enough. If those cans sit for long periods it can take 5 min of vigorous shaking just to loosen the rattle ball inside the can. And another 5 or 10 min of hard shaking just to get the pigments up
Larry, that was my first thought as well. I just assumed that John knew how to shake a can of paint.

Either not shaken enough. If those cans sit for long periods it can take 5 min of vigorous shaking just to loosen the rattle ball inside the can. And another 5 or 10 min of hard shaking just to get the pigments up
I think I gave it a solid 50 second moderate shake lol

I was thinking not enough shaking.

I've used spray can paint a few years old without problems.

If it's cold in the garage I bring it inside the house to warm up and I shake it several times the day before I use it so the paint is not really cold

List of popular spray paints for gas grill restoration found in this thread:

I use that on all of my cook box rehabs. I have used it after storing it in my unheated garage over the winter in Wisconsins (-20F). I have never had the problem you are showing. I would guess it is either not shaking it enough before spraying or simply a bad can of paint.

Back