Competition Shelf - Kitchen Accessories Project Input

JeremyMSmith

All,

I recently saw a peg board shelf from a neighbor at a competition cook a few weeks back. He simply screwed pegboard over a square-shaped 1 inch PVC pipe frame. He C-clamped the pipe to his fold out table in the back and rested the shelf against his U-Haul trailer. He threw a few pegboard baskets, a paper towel holder, and a magnetic knife bar to hold his cutleries. He also used a hinge in the middle, to fold the peg board in half (the two peg boards faced each other, but he had to remove all of the peg hooks). It was pretty basic, a little wobbly, but it was quite functional. I wondered if I could design something sturdier, just as functional, and it remain portable.

It's a been a few weeks and I've decided I'd like to make two 36 inch L x 6-8 inch W x 36 inch H) boxes. I wanted to be able to fold them out on the back side of my 6-foot plastic table (30 in W). I like the idea of my shelves constructed into two separate boxes that could fold up (or into each other) like a suitcase, then latch them together, all while preserving the gadgets inside. I looked into the material weight if using using 1/2 inch plywood, and was a bit floored it came to ~40.6 lbs per box!! If you reduce the thickness to 3/8 it reduces the weight by half, however, I'm concerned the shelf would be too flimsy. Maybe with the peg board installed it will be fine? I may return to the 3/8 design but am currently exploring building two square boxes from 1 inch (sch 40) PVC pipe. I'm thinking of designing one box with pegboard and the other with a shelf or two. I'm taking some more time to think about what I'm really wanting to put inside of the boxes but wanted to bounce idea off of others first.

Would you probably go with wood? Can you think of another type of material that would be good here? Better design? I'm open at this point, I just want to take my time and construct a compact and efficient shelf for competitions.

Below is a basic diagram of what I'm thinking. There are some details I'm leaving out about how I'd like to fasten the shelves to my table but I wanted to keep them out in case you have a recommendation for that as well.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B9eivi9sncIbTVZJNWxuZlZhQ0k

Cheers!

Jeremy

Last edited:
Since it's been a few weeks and I didn't get any feedback I assume a few things.......1.) perhaps I didn't put this thread in the right location and it didn't reach the eyes I was hoping to get on this or 2.) Perhaps what I've presented seems okay to most. Either way, thanks for looking and reach out if you have any input. I'll likely build sometime during the winter. Perhaps, I'll throw up the completed project in a thread after completed. Cheers! Jeremy.

I don't think you put it in the wrong place Jeremy. It's just that if the pvc is too wobbly and the ply is too heavy, I really don't have a solution. I did look for alternatives but couldn't find anything else that eliminates those two issues. No point in posting "sorry, got nothing" but here I am saying "sorry, got nothing". Good luck in finding a solution.

A 4' x 8' sheet of exterior grade plywood weighs about 40# and I'm not seeing a full sheet in your sketch. You mentioned a peg board back, so that's 36" x 36" and you show a 1" x 8" frame for the shelf.
Where does the ply go?

Tim

I would Google and search YouTube for chuck boxes and camp kitchens. Lots of great ideas for diy. Check out blue sky camp kitchens for some good light weight construction techniques.

Hey thanks Len, ya, that's the same way I feel too. I did google some plastic pvc that are square shaped but they were more costly. Thanks again for your time!

Hey Timothy,

It appears I made a mistake in the diagram, the two shelves should be 1/2 in thick vs the 1 presented in the diagram. It's simply an open box design, peg board will likely go towards the back of one of the boxes, and perhaps a shelf or two will go in the other box. These materials also create extra weight, which I have not factored in. The reason I refer the 4x8 plywood because that's what I had to use to calculate the weight of my two smaller boxes. It was complicated, I had to essentially find what the surface area is for a 4 x 8 x 1/2 sheet, then do a proportion calculation down to my 36 in x 36 x 8 (1/2) boxes.

Hope that makes sense. :eek:

Jeremy

- - - Updated - - -

Thank Terry, I will check this out! Jeremy

Okay, well if going for something lightweight ( and strong), than make the perimeter of the box out of a 1" x 8".

A 1" x 8" x 12' ( poplar or birch) weighs about 5# ( I just installed over a 1000 LF of 1' X 8" x 12' on a school for interior sills and it's very easy to carry )

I would go with 1/8" Luan plywood for the back. It's lightweight and a quarter of the weight of tempered hardboard like peg board.

Add some backing like 1"x4 or 2"x4" behind where you want to screw on your accessories.

A 4x8 sheet of plywood is 32sq ft. Your two boxes if you use solid plywood for the back is 18sq ft. If you use plywood for the perimeter frame than that's 8" x 36" x 8 which gives you 16 sq ft.

Your gonna need a sheet and a half, but that's still about 20# a box.

Attaching it to your fold out table should be easy. Mine has a metal Z clip around the long side, drill a few holes, add some bolts and wing nuts.:)

Tim

Jeremy, I just stumbled onto this thread. They make plastic peg board. It's more expensive than the wooden stuff, but lighter. That might help with the weight.

Awesome, I'll peek around and see what I can find, another side note, I was able to find square shaped pvc pipe but it was very expensive! Thanks for your input!! Also, I visited Charlotte, NC and Charleston, SC last week, man...that was some pretty good BBQ out there, and that's saying a lot from a KC BBQ fan! Cheers!

Timothy - luan plywood, never heard of it! I'll definitely look into it. Good call, I'm still playing with the idea of my shelf system bolting directing into my table. Cheers Jeremy

Back