Competition Reminder

So I find that as I get older my mind is becoming less and less like a steel trap and more like a steel funnel. Because I am a one-person team, I have to remember everything. Which is precarious at best. I've tried lists on paper which is fine if I remember to look at it periodicaly. If I get busy with one thing, then I've many times gotten behind in something else.

So I'm kicking around the idea of writing a program that I can pre-load with alarm times & information such that when the time occurs, an alarm will go off and remind me to do whatever. Sort of like a high resolution alarm clock based in a really old el-cheapo laptop that I can mount to the wall of the war wagon.

I've got access to LabView here at work and I'm fairly well versed in it so my thought is to go with that for now. I can write the 'code' on my own time and then compile it into an executable which won't require a license. So it would be perfectly legal.

So I'm soliciting ideas as to what else (if anything) it should do. My thought is that it would sound the PC's chime and then throw a dialog window up on the screen displaying whatever the pre-programmed message is. I would have to click on the 'OK' button (or hit the space bar) to get it to stop chiming and close the window to kind of reset it for the next alarm.

This way it 'nags' me to do whatever and I have to pay at least minimal attention to it. The other advantage is that it will keep track of time for me so that I can concentrate on the task and not keep glancing at the clock on the wall and try to remember what it is I'm supposed to be doing.

Russ

Russ,

Snooze function ? I am sure there are alarms you would have the could wait 15 minutes if you were in the middle of something else, but you wouldn't want to click OK and it be gone.

I like printouts as I don't need to worry about them getting wet, sauce on them, injection spraying on them, etc. I wear a running watch and will set alarms and timers for certain things. This helps especially on Friday night when I'm out visiting others.

Back