Coming soon!!!!!

I used to enjoy that toddy back in the day after a day of skiing... never made it myself though, only imbibed in the lodge.

What are some good recipes?

Hi Frank, this is the recipe I posted here on the Drinks thread couple of years ago. Of the 2 recipes
DH has made me, I like this one the best. Hope you will also. Makes 1 drink.
Yes, it was cold enough in south Florida to really enjoy this drink.

Hot Buttered Rum

1 small slice butter (soft)
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 dash ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash ground allspice
1 splash vanilla extract
2 oz. rum (dark)
5 oz. water (hot)

ENJOY!!!!!!

After asking yesterday about concoctions I looked at some on the 'net. Did not realize all that went into it!
I am not necessarily a rum drinker but have a couple of brands on hand to make various potion...
...one of my winter drinks is a cider toddy that includes rum:

My fall/ winter drink that I enjoy after a day recreating in the cold in my cider toddy;
• Large coffee mug,
• Apple cider (the real stuff, not apple juice)
• Spiced rum (captain Morgan is good)
• Triple Sec,
• Cinnamon stick,
• Nutmeg.

Heat cider as hot as possible WITHOUT bringing it to a boil
Pour 1 or 2 shots of rum into mug, add cider.
Add very small dash of triple sec to mellow the rum and stir with cinnamon stick,
Top with a very small amount of nutmeg.
Serve, enjoy, repeat.

Thanks Frank for your recipe, sounds like a good one. Am coping it and giving it to DH. (as a hint, hint lol) Here is the other HBR recipe I have. It makes enough for 4. We have never tried it, but it sounds different and maybe someday. :unsure: (just saw my note, I made this back in 2006 and gave it a good rating.) Like I have said before, there goes the memory. lol

Hot Buttered Rum

1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sifted fruit sugar (?)
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 cups vanilla ice cream, softened
Rum
boiling water

1. In a small mixing bowl, beat together butter, both sugars and spices until well combined.
2. Beat in the ice cream.
3. Turn into a 4 cup freezer container. Seal and freeze.
4. To serve, spoon about 1/3 cup mix into a mug, add 1 jigger of rum and 1/2 cup boiling water. Stir well. Serves 4

Source: Pastry Wiz Food Resource Center

The original Finnish version given me by Toyvho Rhumimi almost fifty years ago.
1-lb. dark brown sugar
1/4-lb. unsalted butter
1-teaspoon EACH freshly ground nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, and allspice
1/4-teaspoon kosher salt

Work all ingredients together in a large ceramic bowl with your hands until fully incorporated and almost batter like.
Use two fully rounded tablespoons per mug with a good pour of dark rum and fill with hot water.
(I like Meyers’ or Goslings) most of the spiced rum seems too sweet for my tastebuds.

You can roll this into a cylinder in waxed paper and cut it off like slicing butter for ease of celebration!

There is one more for the giant list of recipes too!

After asking yesterday about concoctions I looked at some on the 'net. Did not realize all that went into it!
I am not necessarily a rum drinker but have a couple of brands on hand to make various potion...
...one of my winter drinks is a cider toddy that includes rum:

My fall/ winter drink that I enjoy after a day recreating in the cold in my cider toddy;
• Large coffee mug,
• Apple cider (the real stuff, not apple juice)
• Spiced rum (captain Morgan is good)
• Triple Sec,
• Cinnamon stick,
• Nutmeg.

Heat cider as hot as possible WITHOUT bringing it to a boil
Pour 1 or 2 shots of rum into mug, add cider.
Add very small dash of triple sec to mellow the rum and stir with cinnamon stick,
Top with a very small amount of nutmeg.
Serve, enjoy, repeat.
Hmmmm, wonder how many time I could "REPEAT". LOL

HAPPY NATIONAL HOT BUTTER RUM DAY!!!!!!

OK, now don't laugh you Yankee's...........(lol)

It is 62F here now in Boca. For me, if it stays that cold, I will be having my HBR later on today.

What's it like for you?

Hi Frank, this is the recipe I posted here on the Drinks thread couple of years ago. Of the 2 recipes
DH has made me, I like this one the best. Hope you will also. Makes 1 drink.
Yes, it was cold enough in south Florida to really enjoy this drink.

Hot Buttered Rum

1 small slice butter (soft)
1 tsp. brown sugar
1 dash ground cinnamon
1 dash ground nutmeg
1 dash ground allspice
1 splash vanilla extract
2 oz. rum (dark)
5 oz. water (hot)

ENJOY!!!!!!
ok, it is only 67F now here in Boca, but DH fixed me a HBR anyway. I mean after all, it is a NATIONAL holiday. ;) :love:

IT'S HERE!!!!! IT'S HERE!!!!!!!

Last year the temp. was 62, this year the temp is 66. For me, that is still cold enough to enjoy my HOT BUTTERED RUM!!!!!!!!!

Back