Coffee grinder static

C Lewis

Closed Account
I had been getting a lot of static build up in my burr grinder, to the point of discouraging me from grinding beans. The grounds were stuck all to the cup, and smacking the bottom only resulted in grinds all over the counter. I came across a video that showed a method to take a paper towel, dampen with water, and squeeze to add a couple of drops of water to the beans prior to grinding. I thought for sure that this would result in a muddy mess in my grinder, but to my surprise, it worked! No more static, the grounds are dumped very clean from the bin into the container that I keep them in. Just wanted to share. I'll see if I can find the video again and link to it. Hope it helps someone.

Been wondering about this myself. Currently using a pre ground bag of PEETS Organic French Roast I tried from Costco. So cheap I could not pass it up and surprising REALLY good coffee!

I use a french press or my Aeropress occasionally, but day-to-day it's my Cuisinart Keurig machine with the Perfect Pod adapter, and it makes a damned fine cup, but requires a medium grind to brew correctly. My daily go to is Caribou Blend whole bean from WalMart, but Fridays and days off it's Black Rifle Coffee Company's Beyond Black or Silencer Smooth. The method above has worked on all of them to eliminate the static.

I just let the ground beans sit for a couple of minutes then tap the container before I take the lid off.
(Cuisinart burr grinder, plastic cup)

We killed 2 Cuisinart burr grinders, just could not keep the grounds from from binding up underneath. We spent a pile on a big Breville and it's lasted several times longer than both Cuisinarts combined. Having said that....

I'd been picking up Cameron's ( a local roaster) French & Italian roast whole beans and experiencing the static issues. With WFH, I started ordering beans direct from the roaster, and with either the retail packs or the 4 lb. commercial bags, very little static during the grind. I do have to wonder about relative humidity, and even in the winter when I do have to keep the RH pretty low to keep condensation on the windows low, it's not much of an issue when I buy directly from the roaster. We grind about about 100 grams daily for a 15 cup pot (which really means 2 cups for my g/f and 2.5 to 3 cups for me, and the pot is empty.)

I had been getting a lot of static build up in my burr grinder, to the point of discouraging me from grinding beans. The grounds were stuck all to the cup, and smacking the bottom only resulted in grinds all over the counter. I came across a video that showed a method to take a paper towel, dampen with water, and squeeze to add a couple of drops of water to the beans prior to grinding. I thought for sure that this would result in a muddy mess in my grinder, but to my surprise, it worked! No more static, the grounds are dumped very clean from the bin into the container that I keep them in. Just wanted to share. I'll see if I can find the video again and link to it. Hope it helps someone.
K-cups work for me, simple and easy.......

I take an ordinary teaspoon and just run it under the faucet for a split second and than stir the beans in the hopper of the grinder with it and grind immediately.
Works perfectly every time.

One weird thing I have seen, is if I use dark roasted beans static is far less to even none at all. Medium roast totally different story. Little bits fly out of the machine and the bowl like crazy. There is an Italian product we like called Lavazza and it's wonderful brew but the static is ridiculous. We have a large KitchenAid grinder btw this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPRQW2A/?tag=tvwb-20 to be exact. I see it's discontinued now replaced by this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JH6K5PY/?tag=tvwb-20
Watching a couple videos and it looks to be way less messy than my current one.

One weird thing I have seen, is if I use dark roasted beans static is far less to even none at all. Medium roast totally different story. Little bits fly out of the machine and the bowl like crazy. There is an Italian product we like called Lavazza and it's wonderful brew but the static is ridiculous. We have a large KitchenAid grinder btw this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XPRQW2A/?tag=tvwb-20 to be exact. I see it's discontinued now replaced by this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JH6K5PY/?tag=tvwb-20
Watching a couple videos and it looks to be way less messy than my current one.
Could it be that the darker roast beans area bit more oily and less prone to static?

I just purchased a capresso infinity and there is no static issues so far, Ive used a wide variety of beans in it...I do not put any moisture in the beans at all

Certain beans, and certain grinders are prone to static.

One very common method is a small spray bottle of water and spray a light/fine mist over the beans before grinding.

Here's the video that I mentioned in the first post, this worked absolutely perfect for me, though I found that you will have to adjust how many drops of water for how many beans that you're grinding.

My son in law and daughter bought themselves one of these VERY expensive coffee bars/espresso machine. Has a real high end grinder and dual cup espresso maker. I shuddered when he told me what it all cost them. But, hey I guess if they can throw money away on an over $100k Tesla they can splurge on coffee LOL. He said it actually came with a tiny spray bottle to "spritz" the beans as espresso typically uses a slightly lighter roast coffee than you might think. I always kind of wondered if maybe simply slowing the motor way down would help as well. seems 450 RPM is a little speedy to me

Back