Coarse, sodium free salt alternatives???

Willie (Green Bay)

TVWBB Member
The simple question is this, does anyone make a sodium free coarse granual (think Kosher grain size)?

Background - So my wife has Meniere's Disease which is directly affected by sodium intake, so she does everything possible to eliminate sodium in her diet. She is also potassium deficient. A great find for her was French's NoSalt which is potassium chloride based...win-win for her! The unfortunate part is that it's very fine like table salt. We used to be huge fans of cooking with Kosher Salt, and particularly me for when i made homemade rubs. I feel that the NoSalt is to fine for rubs (anyone else agree?).

I know potassium chloride comes in large pellets because that is what we now use in our water softener. So i know chemically and manufacturing wise a larger size is possible. So i don't know if it's a lack of demand thing, or why it's not on the market. If it truely doesn't exist, could i literally take the potassium chloride from our water softener and grind that down and basically have the same thing as NoSalt?

I wouldn't ask that question here, you should ask her doctor or the maker of the potassium chloride.

Our local doctors have actually been very little help since her diagnosis, which took quite some time to finally come to the conclusion of Menieres.
I have reached out to French's with this exact question, but have yet to hear back.
So that's why i am asking here to see if anyone else has already researched this as sodium-free is a popular topic on food forums.

You need food grade potassium chloride crystals. They are nearly impossible to come by in small quantities. A bit spendy in larger quantities they are nevertheless available here.

Back