?Coal distribution for Spatchcocked chicken in 18.5 Kettle?

Jim W.

TVWBB Fan
I want to try a spatchcocked chicken in my new 18.5" Jumbo Joe and was wondering what the best charcoal arrangement would be.

Indirect with the coals on one side?
Direct with a sparse layer of evenly distributed coals?

Going with an air-chilled organic bird, dry brined.

When I do spatchcock chicken I usually cook it direct over a med/low heat. (around 325ish). I start bone side down and then flip half way thru the cook.

I want to try a spatchcocked chicken in my new 18.5" Jumbo Joe and was wondering what the best charcoal arrangement would be.

Indirect with the coals on one side?
Direct with a sparse layer of evenly distributed coals?

Going with an air-chilled organic bird, dry brined.

I have tried both, indirect with charcoal on both sides, and indirect with charcoal on one side only. I like the last one better.

Last edited:
When using the OTG, I go indirect on one side (wall off the charcoal with two thin fire bricks) until it is almost the correct internal temperature then finish direct to crisp up the skin. Here is a picture of my set up while doing a picnic shoulder for pulled pork:

You can use some smoke wood, if you desire - my preference for chicken is Apple wood.

Dale53

with that grill I wonder if a ring of coals on the outside with the chicken in the middle might be better. I have not tried that but have read many doing that.
I do the coals on one side thing. but try all the different ways and find what works for you. that's why its fun to cook !

I've been playing with my 18.5 quite a bit lately and I have two suggestions; 1) take a standard Weber charcoal basket and either turn it around or take it apart. Lay the long side against the kettle with the angle portion facing into the centre of the charcoal grate. Foil all of that area and place your hot coals inside the space between the long portion of the basket and the ceramic bowl.
You have just extended the indirect area for cooking a spatchcocked bird of reasonable size on an 18;

2) Remember unlike a gasser you can cook chicken over direct heat as long as your vent settings do not allow enough oxygen for the coals and smoke wood to break into flames. When I had a gasser I could never cook chicken direct heat over 250 without it breaking into flame from the drippings. A lot of people don't get this but it's the basis of fire dynamics. You can't have flame without the oxygen to support it but you can have lots of glowing coals and smouldering wood. The trick is to restrict the air flow just enough to avoid the flames.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I use indirect heat at about 375. I use two bricks and bank it to the side. For beer can I use charcoal dividers.

I use indirect heat at about 375. I use two bricks and bank it to the side. For beer can I use charcoal dividers.

Indirect, charcoal on one side in and around a basket and try to shoot for 350ish. You don't need bricks unless you prefer a heat sink which is not needed with a high heat cook. Try and arrange the bird so the legs to get the most heat.

Jim,

I use a 22.5 OTG. I set up for indirect cooking and damp my fire down to medium at first. I place the bird over direct coals skin side down for about 5 -10 minutes to have it take some color (you really have to watch it to prevent the skin from burning). I then move the bird to the indirect side skin side up, cover the grill, and ramp the temperaturre up. I find this approach provides a crispier skin...

Regards,

John

Back