Cleaning up a Weber Genesis E-310 - Tips Wanted!

Matt in PDX

So I found a sweet Genesis E-310 that someone was tossing out over the weekend, score! It's in pretty good shape for the most part, but there is some corrosion and rust that I'd like to try to clean up a bit if possible. Im wondering if you guys have any tips or tricks for how to go about cleaning it up. Do's/don'ts, etc... Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_2360.jpg
    IMG_2360.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2361.jpg
    IMG_2361.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2362.jpg
    IMG_2362.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_2363.jpg
    IMG_2363.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2364.jpg
    IMG_2364.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2365.jpg
    IMG_2365.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 37
Where is the rust you mentioned? I am not seeing any in those pics.
A good pressure washing is needed first though.

After the pressure wash, check the bottom panel for rust and rot first on that model before you proceed with new parts. Surface rust can be cleaned up and painted to mitigate rot. If you have rot you can get a new bottom panel from Weber or make the structural repairs needed to keep the cabinet square and solid. If the cabinet and frame are in good enough shape for you figure out your plan to get the grill back into service. There are plenty of resources on this site and lots of knowledgeable folks who are passionate about these grills

Post some pictures of the bottom floorpan inside the cabinet. That's usually the first area to start rusting.

The pictures you posted don't look too bad. A great grill for free.
The weathering on the firebox and sides of the lid won't impact the operation of the grill. You can sand down those areas and paint them. Or you could grind them all the way down with a wire brush and angle grinder.....but that's only if you want to improve the looks.

If you look inside the cabinet area on the little support bracket where the grease tray sits, there will be a sticker with the serial number. You can use that to register the grill on Weber.com and see if there is any warranty left on that one.

I guess it’s the weathering and build up on the sides that I was wondering about how to clean up. Yes, the bottom floor panel and one of the doors to the cabinet is pretty rusted out and is starting to rot out. I think that’ll need attention sooner than later. I'll snap some more pics and post later. Good to know these parts are still available from Weber.

Matt:
Weber may not sell you the parts. If you can get the numbers off the label on the drip tray stand, you may find what you need at ereplacements or one of the other parts vendors. You can work around the bottom floor panel, but if the rust is in the frame tubes that the casters slide into, you've got a major issue coming. As others have said, plenty of help on arresting the issues you face on the TVWBB.

I agree with Dan. These 300 series Genesis grills unfortunately are prone to severe rust due to the closed in cabinet. If any of your frame legs are beyond repair, then you might want to consider pulling the plug before you get in too deep. Part out what is useful and wait for a better candidate. My vote would be for a classic Genesis 1000-5000 or a Silver/Gold/Platinum. These can ultimately rust, too, but they are usually more repairable. Their rugged simplicity and quality old-time Made in USA makes them favorites of many of us here.

The frame and legs are actually in solid shape with minimal rust. Its the bottom floor panel in the cabinet, around the front and where the tank sits, that has the worst of it and a little bit on the inside of door nearest to the tank. Ill reach out to weber at some point to see if a replacement is available or if a third party company may offer it. I appreciate all the insight guys!

Here is the bottom tray. Pretty much $100 is what it will cost just about anywhere.

I am rehabbing one and making a wood floor board out of cedar, much cheaper option, just doesn't look OEM.

Thanks for the intel. I like the wood panel replacement idea!

Here is the bottom tray. Pretty much $100 is what it will cost just about anywhere.

I am rehabbing one and making a wood floor board out of cedar, much cheaper option, just doesn't look OEM.

Kyle, can you send some pics of what you did with the wood panel replacement? My 310 bottom panel is beyond repair. Looking to economically rehab this grill. Left panel is also corroded out on the bottom so I might have a problem trying to connect the new bottom panel to the left.

Kyle, can you send some pics of what you did with the wood panel replacement? My 310 bottom panel is beyond repair. Looking to economically rehab this grill. Left panel is also corroded out on the bottom so I might have a problem trying to connect the new bottom panel to the left.

It's a few pages, but you can see what I did

Back