Cleaning a Cast Iron Skillet

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Honor Circle
I was happy with the Larbee I just wanted to try it out. I came home one day and my wife had used about 50 uses worth of the Larbee puck on 2 or 3 pans. I clean all the cast iron now.

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
Flaxseed oil is about the worst thing that you can put on cast. It looks good at first, but eventually will chip off. Many collectors these days don't want to purchase cast that has been flaxed. Grapeseed oil and canola are great choices though. Plain old Crisco works well. I personally use a product called Crisbee and Larbee for my seasoning.
I plan to continue making my own CI seasoning. What proportion for Grapeseed, canola oil and beeswax would you recommend?

And here's an article that would contradict what you state concerning flaxseed oil.

Last edited:

Mike - LA

TVWBB Member
Warm water in a warm pan with coarse kosher salt and a shark tank scrub daddy. Will get crud without damaging seasoning and little Crisbee and it’s perfect again. Lots of cast iron cooking here.

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
Flax seed, grape seed, canola oil, lard and beeswax, any combination of those seem to be the thing to use. Although I haven't tried it yet, I'd recommend adding the bit of beeswax to any of the other substances named as long as the latter have been well preheated.

Tim Snyder

TVWBB Super Fan
It's my understanding that the whole "don't use soap on cast iron" myth started back when home made soap used lye and some lye often remained behind in the process. The lye would strip the seasoning. No lye remains behind in modern soap.

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We have a fleet of CI pans and Dutch ovens along with a couple of carbon steel pans that are our daily drivers. I've tried all the "perfect ways to season your CI pans" from flaxseed to Crisco. About two years ago I went from trying everything I read as the best to just using canola oil with a light coat after cleaning. We clean them with hot water and a little Dawn if needed.
Haven't had to redo one pan since then and they are all stick free.
Like Greg said "don't overthink it"

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
Weight is best but don’t overthink it.

You’re making goop to rub on a skillet.
I've just now made some seasoning consisting of equal parts Canola Oil, Grape Seed Oil, and Beeswax, by volume. We'll see how it works and thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And like yours 30% beeswax.

Last edited:

BobJ

TVWBB Super Fan
Thanks all, sounds like I'll just keep doing what I've been doing, whatever it takes to get it clean.

Yair Halamish

For tough crud I use a stainless chainmail scrubber. I put some hot water and let it sit for a minute or two, than scrub. It does take a bit of the seasoning off, a light coat of olive oil (that's my go-to oil) takes care of that.
What I like about the chainmail is that it lasts a lifetime, like the CI itself, and no soap is needed.
They are pretty cheap, like this one:

Andy Linn

TVWBB Fan
canola oil with a light coat after cleaning. We clean them with hot water and a little Dawn if needed.
Haven't had to redo one pan since then and they are all stick free.
that's how I roll too - I turn a burner on after washing to heat the water off and then I spray it with a touch of canola.

GrantT

TVWBB Super Fan
Usually super hot water and a light scrub with the dish cloth will take everything off easily. I will use a little coarse salt too when an extra boost is needed.

Bob Bailey

TVWBB Super Fan
For those who use a cast iron skillet how do you clean it? I know you are not supposed to use water, soap, or a scrubby, but after a hard use those are the only things that work. And yes, I oil it a bit after.

So how do you get off the really crisped on crud?
I deglaze mine after use if there's any crud baked on. Just put ~1/4" water in it and bring it to a boil. Scrape the bottom with a flat end wooden stirrer until the crud breaks loose. After that, I use hot water and a plastic scrubber to clean up any remaining bits. Once clean, it goes onto the stove with a little heat until dry. I do avoid soap, but water and scrubbers are OK.

I think the best tip I got on seasoning a CI was to use a dry paper towel to buff off as much oil (which ever is the favored) as you possibly can. As it heats, buff off any that comes out of the pores. Then bake it as per your standard. Repeat as necessary. It forms the best hard thin film I've seen.