Clean Up 2000-vintage Silver B

Chris-IL

TVWBB Fan
I told you guys that a clean up was on the list for a long while

I did it yesterday....just got a lot of the crud off with the metal putty knife. Not looking for 100% perfection because I am using the grill and not trying to sell it. The RAZOR BLADE trick for the carbon on the inside grill lid worked a treat! Thanks for that as I prob wouldn't have tried it....would have worried I would scratch the hell out of something. Came off in sheets haha.

The burners look great condition...I think I installed them [5 or 6?] years ago but honestly can't find the order info on my emails to know. With them cleaned off they have nice even blue flame. They are the kind that have the stainless mesh out at the knobs rather than a snap around plastic thing like the OEM.

There is something magical about cleaning up that control panel with Simple Green and the dang thing looks brand new!

The 7mm Stainless Grates look great in it. I haven't cooked yet so will let you know thoughts there.

Attaching a few pictures with questions.....

1) How to get that "tough grease/grime layer" from parts of the outside top grill? Stronger degreaser? Carefully take that razor blade again? Other?

2) Similar question on the tough grease line right at the edge of the control panel?

3) I see a little rust action on the pullout tray. Not bad but there is a little spot where some part broke thru and there are a few other spots perhaps bubbling paint underneath. Again this is after 23 years so not so bad. Do anything? To get it degreased enough to be painted seems like it's gonna be a challenge. I could just shoot some rustoleum high heat or ultra high heat on the spots?

4) side of the cookbox where it is yellowish corrosion - just leave it or try to degrease and shoot it with High Heat Ultra too?

20230618_175004.jpg
20230618_175317.jpg
20230618_113803.jpg
20230618_181029.jpg

Hey Chris, all the porcelain coated surfaces are safe to use the razor blade scraper on as is fine steel wool(000 or 0000). As far as your drip tray goes I would buy a new one while you still can, it's Weber part #99251. It is a luxury that us owners of the previous generation of Genesis grills no longer have.

Hey Chris, all the porcelain coated surfaces are safe to use the razor blade scraper on as is fine steel wool(000 or 0000). As far as your drip tray goes I would buy a new one while you still can, it's Weber part #99251. It is a luxury that us owners of the previous generation of Genesis grills no longer have.

Interesting, thanks. Looks like it is 99250 that I want, for a Silver B (the 99251 says for Silver A and Spirits)

Control panel is just years of “enjoyment” a bit of simple green steel wool and elbow grease, the next batch will be all your enjoyment!

Spray it down have a beverage and then wet it down again and hit it with 4x0 steel wool, it’s will look like new!

I could also put some Dawn on it and let it sit for a while and do the same I suppose. I new to the Simple Green party, just got some a couple months ago at Sams Club....is it stronger degreaser than Dawn or dishwashing liquid or no

The way I do it is to spray it with simple green, scrape, spray some more, steel wool the residue off and rinse with water.

A Dawn bath, is good, That’s what I do, I just didn’t have any Simple Green. Didn’t feel like another trip out either.
I really like Windex as a final polish too. Soaking makes the elbow strain much easier. I had to wait a whole six pack before I was satisfied with one. Take your time, it will be its own reward!

from the weber parts schematic for my 2000 Silver B

1199250Grease tray, Genesis/Spirit B/C, black

@Chris-IL this is a good page to bookmark:

And here's a link on grillparts.com for the slide out bottom pan.

Thanks guys re: 99250 Tray

I'm probably going to cheap-out and just stick with the current one, that is in pretty good shape. Maybe touch up the few rusty spots to improve the longevity. I have a feeling it will last another long while given that it has made it 23 years already and is still pretty good shape

Any sense whether these 99250s are going to be gone in a few years? (I know nobody has a crystal ball).

Thanks guys re: 99250 Tray

I'm probably going to cheap-out and just stick with the current one, that is in pretty good shape. Maybe touch up the few rusty spots to improve the longevity. I have a feeling it will last another long while given that it has made it 23 years already and is still pretty good shape

Any sense whether these 99250s are going to be gone in a few years? (I know nobody has a crystal ball).
Those trays are fine until they aren't. My Genesis 1000 is only two years older than your grill and the drip tray had some rust holes in it, not good. These parts are available until they just aren't, even in the few years I've been paying attention to it several more items have become unavailable for my grill and it's only going to get worse. I wish I had a crystal ball so I could have bought a few more things while I could. I guess the good news is that someday when you need another one of those trays, you can go out and get a used grill for parts like I have to do.

Those trays are fine until they aren't. My Genesis 1000 is only two years older than your grill and the drip tray had some rust holes in it, not good. These parts are available until they just aren't, even in the few years I've been paying attention to it several more items have become unavailable for my grill and it's only going to get worse. I wish I had a crystal ball so I could have bought a few more things while I could. I guess the good news is that someday when you need another one of those trays, you can go out and get a used grill for parts like I have to do.

That's fair

It's a tough decision....spend $60 on a tray right now and just leave it in the box for awhile till the other one falls apart? What I don't know is if the current will go downhill quickly like in 3 years or whether it will last another 10+

One thing about porcelain coated stuff. Once the coating is gone IDK why but it seems to rust away faster than regular uncoated steel. I remember when I had that Summit. I went from I noticed a little "bubble" on the porcelain to big gaping holes in a few weeks

One thing about porcelain coated stuff. Once the coating is gone IDK why but it seems to rust away faster than regular uncoated steel. I remember when I had that Summit. I went from I noticed a little "bubble" on the porcelain to big gaping holes in a few weeks
It’s your caustic nature! JUST LIKE ME!😁
I ate through the gold plating on my mandolin tailpiece in six months! I knew a guy that would eat through his Les Paul tailpieces (bridges) in three! Some of us are just acidic, I guess. Completely off track, I apologize.

That's fair

It's a tough decision....spend $60 on a tray right now and just leave it in the box for awhile till the other one falls apart? What I don't know is if the current will go downhill quickly like in 3 years or whether it will last another 10+
I'm certainly not trying to tell you how to spend your money. I'm just pointing out what happened with the Genesis 1000 drip trays. There are people that pop up on here all the time desperately looking for a replacement tray for their grills.

Wet sanding works absolutely amazing on the porcelain. End results can be incredible

Attachments

• PXL_20230616_181108941.jpg
    PXL_20230616_181108941.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20230616_181112815.jpg
    PXL_20230616_181112815.jpg
    205.5 KB · Views: 26

Back