Chuck roast vs. Chuck roll

Yes, a chuck roast and a chuck roll can be cooked to the point of shredding, both of which will happen between 200 & 210
The chuck roll is a better piece of beef, and will likely be more expensive than a chuck roast
If you really want to have some fun, try and get a beef clod. It's the whole shoulder (from where the chuck roast comes from) it's generally cheaper than the chuck roast per pound because it's minimal labor (butchering) A beef clod will feed a crowd

Hey Tim, if you haven't done a beef clod, I recommend it! We hosted an engagement party for our oldest child in July. I decided to do a couple of pork butts (10 pounds each) and a shoulder clod (21 pounds).
I put the pork on the lower level of the WSM, and the beef on the upper level. For the beef, I carved out the flat iron portion so I could remove it from the cook at the right time. The "petit filet" folks mention is a unicorn, you just aren't likely to find one anymore in a packer, the processors are removing these due to demand.
Please excuse the goofball in the picture below, but here are the raw materials.
Clod and Butts Cryovac.jpg
My favorite rub comes from this forum, I used "A butt rub, for Jane" on both. I didn't sauce either of these but put a version of No. 5 and a Char Sui on the side of the serving table.

The flat iron portion has got to be the single best thing I have ever taken off my smoker!
Flat Iron Finished.jpg
Flat Iron Pull 2.jpg
Flat Iron Pull Low GIF.gif

The Clod Heart was dang near as beautiful.
Clod Heart Finished.jpg
Clod Heart Pull 2.jpg
Clod Heart Pull Low Gif.gif

The pork turned out just fine from the lower level, just needed a little more time once I had the beef off.
Finshed Butt Bone Slides Right Out.jpg
Pulled Pork 1.jpg

I would do a clod again in a heartbeat. Excellent price point, large volume. Other than watching a video to extract the flat iron, it is a super low skill level cook. I would step on the brisket that I've tried to cook (all 4 times) to get to this clod!

The party goers loved it, but I think the compliments might have been alcohol induced!
PXL_20230722_185620609.jpg

Tony, for the recipe it's really what you like. I like "A butt rub, for Jane" on anything. That recipe is in the TVWBB forum. Some beefeaters are P&S only. So, the rub is cooks choice.
I did low and slow (225°F target) for the duration. The pull temp was 200°F for the clod . The clod heart was still in its stall when the flat iron got to 200. My cook was in warm weather and the sun was out. It was a full 12 or 13 hours.

Thank you!
13 hours for that giant beef to pull. Fantastic.
I was worried the thickness would make it difficult, impossible, to get cooked.

Again,
Thank You

Yes, a chuck roast and a chuck roll can be cooked to the point of shredding, both of which will happen between 200 & 210
The chuck roll is a better piece of beef, and will likely be more expensive than a chuck roast
If you really want to have some fun, try and get a beef clod. It's the whole shoulder (from where the chuck roast comes from) it's generally cheaper than the chuck roast per pound because it's minimal labor (butchering) A beef clod will feed a crowd

Not familiar with the chuck roll, but as far as cheap . . . but I was thinking of doing a Pepper Stout Beef a couple of weeks ago and chuck roast was almost $13/lb. ! ! !

BD

Back