Kurt Neurauter

TVWBB Member
Over Christmas for the past few years I held a Red & Green Martini Party. Long story short, red apple (whiskey) and green apple (vodka) martinis. This year after having my smoker for over a year I decided to switch it up a bit and turn it into a BBQ with a red & green pork shoulder... The result was amazing.

The sauces. The red consisted of dried hatch chilies, 4-5 cloves of garlic, salt & pepper, and water. The green was using a jar of hatch green chilis (from Costco), 4-5 cloves of garlic, salt & pepper, and water. That was it - very simple recipe. Here you see the concoctions...

Here are both shoulders, trimmed, and in vacuum bags for a three day marinade...

Sleep well, my pretties...

I didn't take any shots of them on the smoker, pre-pull, or post pull, but here's what I did. Put them on around midnight on Friday night - temperature was around 250F and dropping slowly. :wsm: I had plenty of coals in there and wasn't worried about it dropping below 200F. I used pecan for smoke. When I woke up the next morning it was going around 300F, probably due to the wind acting up overnight. I wasn't overly worried about them going bad, plus it looks like they had been at the 160F plateau already and were just doing their thing now. Around noon they hit 200F and I took them off, foiled them, and put them in a cooler with some towels.

4PM I pulled them, and had them served up with some online-cilantro-lime juice and sliced radish+lime juice... Took the left over marinade, heated it up for awhile to kill off anything and mixed it in with the red or green pulled shoulders... One word: AMAZING. :cool::cool::cool:

The Red

The Green

Thanks for stopping by!

Nice work Kurt! Looks like a good time. No booze shots?

Not this round... although, if you're interested:
Red Apple Martini
2pts Canadian Whiskey
1pt Cranberry Juice
1pt Sour Apple Mix

Or make it 3pts whiskey... it eventually goes that way as the night goes on.

Back