Chris Lilly Championship pork injection ?

Lynn Dollar

TVWBB Emerald Member
I'm smokin a couple of butts Saturday. Goin to trim them Friday evening and get up at 4 am to put them on the smoker.

I'm considering injecting when I trim Friday evening. It would be a time saver for me early Saturday morning.

Any pros and cons to doing this ?

The injection includes apple juice, water, sugar, salt, and worcestershire. I'd like to be able to ask Chris Lilly directly.

I use this injection recipe on every pork butt I smoke, but normally inject it while the smoker is heating up. Not sure if doing it the night before would yield a different taste or not.

While I never tried it, I have read some feel it gets a " hammy " taste when rubbed or injected overnight.
It has to do with the salt, so you could omit that I guess?

Same here. I've been using the same marinade, but never done one ahead of time.

I pull the butts out of the fridge, and make sure my fridge hasn't frozen them, start the fire and while the temps are stabilizing I inject.

I make the injection mix the night before so that saves time. I've even frozen it when I made too much and was only smoking one butt.

Another option is to cook it over night, and when its done, wrap in garage towels and hold in a cooler chest until serving time I did this a while ago and it worked great knowing the pork was done.

While I never tried it, I have read some feel it gets a " hammy " taste when rubbed or injected overnight.
It has to do with the salt, so you could omit that I guess?
I put rub on my pork butts the night before and have never experienced a ham flavor.
I think it’s a BBQ Myth like cooking fat side up so the fat will melt into the butt.

Let us know how it turns out, I rarely trim the fat on a butt nor have I ever injected one. I'm always open to new concepts.

I've done some butts injected, some untrimmed, some trimmed up a lot, some in the oven, pulled then smoked in a tray. For me, the best flavors I've done were just smoke it, pull it, then tray the pulled meat, pour a mixture of pork broth and the rub I used over it to add moisture/flavor and smoke the tray another hour, stirring/turning the meat occasionally to get the spices and smoke deep into every bite.

Please do let us know how it turns out. I’m interested in trying it.
What injector are you using?

I've done this Chris Lilly injection for years, can't recall how many. I first saw it Chris Lilly's " Big Bob Gibson BBQ Book " , and Chris Allingham had it up on the Virtual Site. Before my offset stick burner days, I would do the high heat version.

But I've always injected just before it went on the smoker. With Lew's endorsement, I'm sure this will come out good.

I have a Butcher BBQ pistol injector that I really like. Its far more comfortable to use and I can be more exact.

I've got them both trimmed and injected. Got the smoker ready to light the fire first thing in the morning at 4 am. Then put Kosmos Dirty Bird on the butts . I'll light the fire before I make coffee .

20220107_162543.jpg

20220107_164327.jpg

20220107_174123.jpg

Last edited:
I used to inject butts, like back in 08 but got away from it because I found using a finishing sauce ( when pulling) did the same thing with less work up front.
Agree.
With all the fat and connective tissue, I've never found reason to inject, spritz, mop or wrap a pork butt. I salt, allow to rest until the surface gets tacky and then apply one of my salt-free rubs. I sometimes add a bit of ACV/sauce mixture when pulling, depending on how it will be served.
Definitely subjective, but that's my opinion.

Agree.
With all the fat and connective tissue, I've never found reason to inject, spritz, mop or wrap a pork butt. I salt, allow to rest until the surface gets tacky and then apply one of my salt-free rubs. I sometimes add a bit of ACV/sauce mixture when pulling, depending on how it will be served.
Definitely subjective, but that's my opinion.

Well, you do what you do, and I do what I do ............... that's what makes barbecue fun.

Back