Chimney charcoal starting

CaseyMcC

TVWBB Member
Has anyone used the midsection as the platform to start a chimney? I am looking to avoid scorching the stamped concrete pad for my patio. It has also been very dry in my area the last few weeks, so I am looking to keep the chimney above lawn level. Just wondering if starting the chimney on the top grate would have any negative effect on the cooking. I use Royal Oak Tumbleweeds as my starting fuel, so not much concern about wax tablet residue. Thanks

It's better as you get better airflow underneath the chimney. I start mine on my Performer charcoal grate every time.

Didn't think about that. For my first 2 smokes, I used an old, portable firepit that is rusting through the bottom. Thanks for the tip, Mike.

Similiar to Mike, except I have a generic gas grill that I just set on the grates and light, it makes a little mess but not too bad

A lot of folks put the WSM on a 2x3 SS oil drip pan to keep heat and grime off the patio/deck.

You can put the chimney right on the pan no problem.

To get it off ground level, I use the cooking grate of my gas grill.

WSM mid-section and top grate should also be fine. Open the WSM door and you'd have plenty of air. I will try that next cook.

When I had my Genesis I would start my chimney on the side burner. Now I use the gas assist on my Performer and that's why it's always on the charcoal grate. But, even when I used my Genesis side burner, after the initial 5 minutes of lighting on the gas, I would move it to the charcoal grate of my Kettle.

The use the setup shown in this article. I start the chimney on the charcoal grate, inside the charcoal chamber, in the charcoal bowl as shown in the first photo.

undercar-oil-drip-pan-1.jpg

When the charcoal is hot, I move the chimney briefly to the oil pan, fill the ring with charcoal, and pour the hot coals on top.

undercar-oil-drip-pan-2.jpg

The use the setup shown in this article. I start the chimney on the charcoal grate, inside the charcoal chamber, in the charcoal bowl as shown in the first photo.

undercar-oil-drip-pan-1.jpg

When the charcoal is hot, I move the chimney briefly to the oil pan, fill the ring with charcoal, and pour the hot coals on top.

undercar-oil-drip-pan-2.jpg
Thank you for the link, Chris. Old pizza pans are one thing that I can easily come by. I will lay one over a couple pavers tomorrow so there is a shield between the chimney and concrete.

I used the Minion method described in so many articles. I don't have a tin can to put in the middle of the charcoal chamber, so I just sat the chimney on the charcoal grate and started the coals there, and as the chimney of coals was just about ready, I built the minion setup right around the chimney. When the chimney was set to go, I pulled it out of the ring of coals and poured it off into the middle of the unlit coals. Seems too easy, that I am curious if I a missing something important...

I used the Minion method described in so many articles. I don't have a tin can to put in the middle of the charcoal chamber, so I just sat the chimney on the charcoal grate and started the coals there, and as the chimney of coals was just about ready, I built the minion setup right around the chimney. When the chimney was set to go, I pulled it out of the ring of coals and poured it off into the middle of the unlit coals. Seems too easy, that I am curious if I a missing something important...
What size barrel is yours?

Be very nervous about starting charcoal on a concrete paver or slab. When you go to lift it, thermal change/shock to the concrete can be explosive.

I keep a couple of red bricks in my BBQ area. If I am lighting the small chimney I use only 1 brick, I use the little starter cubes. Lay the brick flat and the chimney fits on it perfectly. If using the large chimney I lay two bricks down and it fits perfect;y.

I use an old baking pan.
I had done this 2-3 times without incident. The 4th time, I ended up scorching a part of my wooden deck... in the middle of winter... last weekend. So, I’ll probably stick to using the side burner of my Genesis. I guess the pan got too hot?

Back