Chimichurri Grilled Shrimp Bowls

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
It's been a while since I've tried a new recipe - I got this own from ATBBQ's youtube channel (link at the bottom). I followed the recipe pretty closely but didn't use the dry spices that Chef Tom in the video uses. There's been some chatter/complaining about youtube food channels and their advertisements.... Chef Tom is definitely promoting the line of grills they sell, cooking tools, spices, etc... but at least it's all related to what he's cooking. I think this is one the best Youtube cooking channels out there. Give it a try if you are looking for something new or different.

The chimichurri calls for fire roasting the shallots, jalepeno and green onions.... Green onions go pretty quick so didn't a pic of that but here's the jalepeno and shallot

charring veg.jpg

So I put the chimichurri together with the fire roasted veg and cilantro, parsley vinegar, olive oil and capers... then smeared some on the shimp and while it was marinating, I grilled some red pepper chunks and squash over hardwood lump (Kamado Joe Big Block) Fire was pretty hot so I got grill marks really fast then moved the veg to the indirect parts of the grill and closed the lid for a few minutes.

pepper and sq.jpg

Here's the shrimp on the barbie (some wild caught gulf shrimp, and some other "organic farmed" shrimp. This was about 1.5 lbs

shrimp on bb.jpg

Here is is, all finished. The big bowl behind the shrimp is red bulgar... this stuff is good for you (tastes better than quinoa) and easy to make. 1.5 cups bulgar added to 1.5 cups of boiling water, kill the heat and walk away for an hour or more...I mixed in some finely chopped green onion, salt, pepper and olive oil.

shrimp done.jpg

Here's the finished bowl with some chimichurri on top. The charred veg in the chimichurri sort of dulls the bright flavors of the chimichurri but also lends a little charred flavor... I think it works well with other grilled foods, so I'll probably make it again sometime. I grilled a little more shrimp than the recipe called for but still had plenty of chimichurri. This made dinner for 4 without much left over (I was hungry ;)).

finished bowl.jpg

Here's the link to the video where you can access the recipe in the description and see how Chef Tom does it... Thanks for lookin'

@John K BBQ , thanks for posting this great looking cook!! I have a pound of shrimp I was trying to come up with an idea how I was going to use it. Now I know! I'll probably sub some brown rice for the carb portion of the bowls, but the chimichurri shrimp looks like just the ticket! :)

R

Great recipe! Here's my Jumbo Joe's riff on it - I forgot to grill my squash but otherwise it turned out fantastic! Used couscous and added some mushrooms... (wife was a bit miffed I tripled the jalapeno but she said she wouldn't change a thing afterward..)

Attachments

• PXL_20221002_181439735.jpg
    PXL_20221002_181439735.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221002_180443331.jpg
    PXL_20221002_180443331.jpg
    272.1 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221002_175407736.jpg
    PXL_20221002_175407736.jpg
    188.5 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20221002_170059674.jpg
    PXL_20221002_170059674.jpg