chicken wings recipe ??

Louis

TVWBB Fan
Hi everyone,

Long time no see
icon_smile.gif
but don't worry, I KEEP SMOKIN' !
icon_smile.gif

for this sunday tailgate i wanted to try some chickens wings but it would be my first time !

I was wondering if you could help me by proving some of you favorite recipe ...

and an "how to" would be apreciated ..

thank you all

Louis, I've tried a couple of recipes lately that I really like. Look and you'll find 'em with my recent comments in the poultry recipe threads. One has been used by MANY happy posters here on the site and is the Orange Marmalade Sriracha (glazed) wings. They're pretty sweet with some heat. Don't know what you'll be grilling on, but if you want to grill more wings than that on your kettle I'd try the Dougherty Wings I just posted about there the other day. That's as much a technique as it is a recipe, and involves cooking a PILE of wings indirectly. They're not hot though, so like I just mentioned to Dean on the Barbecuing forum, you might want to have some hot sauce/butter mixed up for the ones that like 'em hot and messy. The jerk in the baste provides a tad of heat, but not enough to my taste to be more than subtle. The baste is great though, so don't skip it. It's simply beer, brown sugar, and a few tablespoons of the jerk seasoning paste.

Thanks for that recipe Dave.!
Louis, try the dougherty wings trust me. They are awesome, and fairly easy! you can make them hot or mild as Dave said. I will tinker with the recipe next time as I like it HOT!

Dean, so glad ya like 'em. My thoughts exactly on hot wings...they're supposed to be HOT! No matter though, none of the ones I cooked last week went to waste.
icon_smile.gif

Thanks guys !

is it possible to cook them only in the WSM ?? when tailgating i do not bring any gas bbq or fryer ... only my WSM ... do you think its gonna be good ?

That's what Dean did, so sure. Recipe calls for 280-300, mopping every half hour. Only thing is, you shouldn't try it with water in the pan, and a foiled pan is really slow to recover temp. I'm no big fan of the clay pot base, but it would be a good idea in this situation I will admit since the temp recovers significantly quicker after mopping.

thanks dave

i jsut took a look at your dougherty recipe .. i would love to try it but i cannot find half the ingredients your talking about
icon_frown.gif

and i just looked at the chicken wing Sriracha recipe ... 1/3 cup of sriracha sauce !!!!

i looked on the internet what this sauce is and i got a bottle at home ... but **** .... i never use more than 5-10ml of this sauce in a recipe lolll !! its really hot !!!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Louis:
thanks dave

i jsut took a look at your dougherty recipe .. i would love to try it but i cannot find half the ingredients your talking about
icon_frown.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Check Walkerswood.com if you don't have a Kroger or a World Market nearby. I think they might have some other sources listed on their site. You want the "Hot" jerk seasoning, and it's sort of a paste that comes in a jar.

As to the other ingredients, probably any decent lager would do, but I found the big blue can of Foster's at Kroger, as well. Old Bay seasoning should be at most markets, and I found Green Leaf BBQ's recipe for the Santa Maria seasoning on their site somewhere. It's pretty much just a seasoned salt blend, but with as much white pepper as black.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Louis:
and i just looked at the chicken wing Sriracha recipe ... 1/3 cup of sriracha sauce !!!!

i looked on the internet what this sauce is and i got a bottle at home ... but **** .... i never use more than 5-10ml of this sauce in a recipe lolll !! its really hot !!! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

All I can say is trust the recipe. The combination with the high sweetness is perfect. Not a make you forehead sweat by anymeans.

Wings were on sale (well, regular price but they supposedly had them in stock this time).

NOT.

I used chicken breasts this time (not in the smoker
icon_frown.gif
) but oh gawd, they were good (cut up like fingers). Made some sticky rice as a side.

One of those meals where "I need more...BUT I don't have any more room"

You will need:

1 1/2 pound chicken wings I used
chickent breasts cut up into
"fingers" because no wings were to be
had
, cut at the joint and tips
trimmed
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon olive oil

1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
1/2 cup plain dry bread crumbs

DIP:
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
juice of 1 lime
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt

Rinse and pat dry the chicken wings.
In a bowl combine garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper, salt and olive oil in a bowl. Sprinkle over the chicken wings and toss to coat completely. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
After the wings have marinated, preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Mix panko and plain dry bread crumbs in a bowl. Press marinated wings into the bread crumbs to coat completely.
Place on a baking sheet and bake 20 minutes. Turn and bake for 20 more minutes or until chicken is cooked through and bread crumbs are golden brown. Transfer to a serving platter and serve.
While chicken wings are baking, combine mayonnaise, chipotle peppers, lime juice, vinegar and kosher salt in a food processor. Process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. Serve.

Back