Chicken Quaters

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I am going to smoke several chicken leg quarters this afternoon. I don't plan on using a brine and will cook these at 250 degrees. I would normally cook these at a higher temp but I am new and want to see if I can finally get the temp under control.

So, my question is about how long should it take the chicken to cook? I am guessing 1.5 to 2 hours?

Thanks,

Joel

As a newbie, let me say a couple of things related to your cook.

If you smoke your chicken, you will probably find that the skin will be tough and rubbery. There are ways around that, such as finishing on the grill.

Or, you may just rip the skin off AFTER smoking and enjoy the juiciest and most tender chicken you ever ate! I only do thighs and quarters from the chick myself, wings not included. I suppose if I did the breast I'd be presently surprised, but I haven't done so yet. Thighs and quarters are amazingly cheap and in my opinion the absolute best part of the yard bird!

Joel,
I cook leg quarters quite often. I usually smoke them at 300? to 325?. It takes about 1 1/2 hrs at those temps. At 250? I would guess it to take 2 to 2 1/2 hours.

rj

These thighs went four hours. They melted in your mouth, and can be eaten with your teeth out.
Thighs

Jim

Jim,
If those thighs tasted as good as they look, you had some mighty fine eating. What temp did you cook them at?

rj

Randy,
Thanks for the kind words. I cooked those thighs between, 210-225?F.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back