Cheerios and the Vortex

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We decided it was time for a little vortex magic.
Out of corn flakes so I used Panko, cheerios and Weber’s kickin chicken seasoning.
Put them into the spice grinder and gave them a whirl.
Used bone in chicken thighs coated with yellow mustard and the cheerio mix with grilled corn on the bone and some tomato, mozzarella and basil skewers.
Used cherry for a little smoke flavor.
Performer ran at about 425 dome temp
Nice simple weekday cook using what we had on hand. The flavor profile was pretty good but we both agreed the corn flake coating was our first choice.

101_6987.JPG

101_6989.JPG

101_6990.JPG

101_6994.JPG

101_6997.JPG

Have a great week.

I won't go into the boring details, but lately I have been working on a different binder every day. Can't wait for the one with all the delicious corn-on-the-cob recipes to come up. :p

I won't go into the boring details, but lately I have been working on a different binder every day. Can't wait for the one with all the delicious corn-on-the-cob recipes to come up. :p
Barb and I have been going through the binders to eliminate recipes we haven't tried that have been in the binders since as early as 2004.
We finished up the chicken binder and eliminated 72 recipes which leaves 226 still in the binder, not including chicken wing recipes.
One down and eleven binders to go.
Problem is I pull an average of 3-4 new recipes everyday off the net. If I had to guess I would say all twelve binder probably contain somewhere around 1500-1700 recipes.
Had to have something to do in my self imposed covid lock down.

Rich, I didn't realize you and Barb were so organized. I have been doing this since the late '80's. I have 13 binders (ranging from 1" to 4") filled with just chicken recipes. The last time I counted how many binders I had was a couple of years ago and was just a few shy of 300. See what I mean? I have been taking a binder or two a day and pulling recipes I know we will never want to make. Back when I first started collecting recipes, I was saving everything. Then when I had my cooking game going for 10 years, I was using them. Now, (as we get older) our taste is changing, not suppose to eat this or that (lol) I'm sure you and Barb are going through the same thing. So OUT THEY GO!!!! lol Hopefully it will be easier deciding what to have for dinner.

My problem is..........I am still subscribed to 3 cooking magazines. :eek: :rolleyes::D

Rich, I didn't realize you and Barb were so organized. I have been doing this since the late '80's. I have 13 binders (ranging from 1" to 4") filled with just chicken recipes. The last time I counted how many binders I had was a couple of years ago and was just a few shy of 300. See what I mean? I have been taking a binder or two a day and pulling recipes I know we will never want to make. Back when I first started collecting recipes, I was saving everything. Then when I had my cooking game going for 10 years, I was using them. Now, (as we get older) our taste is changing, not suppose to eat this or that (lol) I'm sure you and Barb are going through the same thing. So OUT THEY GO!!!! lol Hopefully it will be easier deciding what to have for dinner.

My problem is..........I am still subscribed to 3 cooking magazines. :eek: :rolleyes::D
Ha! Barb gets seven different cooking magazines. 95% of our recipes are converted to word documents. That means after spending hours going through the binder I then have to sit down at the computer and erase all the matching word files.
We've only been doing this for about 9 or 10 years and like I said mostly this past year because I pretty much stayed at home to protect myself.

Would you please ask Barb if any of them come every month. The ones I have are every other month. I hate that!!

PS I was working on "Cooking with Red Wine" binder. Thanks to you, I switched to one of my chicken ones. We really don't need that many chicken recipes. lol

Rich, I don't believe this. The 4th recipe I looked at calls for 3 cups of cornflake crumbs. Are you jinxing me? lol

OK, I go back to reading more recipes and the 2nd one calls for 2 cups of cornflakes. lol

Rich,
I pulled out the vortex for a cook last night, I love that thing. I have yet to do breaded chicken with the vortex. Every time I see you make this meal, I think I got to get on that! Maybe after this great rendition it will finally set in for me to get on it. Great looking chicken and great looking sides.

I have to say I notice for the first time that only half your grill is foiled, that got me thinking I better not blink or my kids will be all grown up and it will just be my wife and I. Right now I fill that whole outside grate up when I fire up the kettle with the vortex. I really love my wife and do look forward to when I am just cooking for her and I, but right now I am really enjoying the life with these kids growing up around us and I love cooking for them.

I know what you mean Mike, even when I cook for two there is enough for six simply because I’m still used to almost always cooking for a bunch! The kids come every week so, I cook for six then. The rest of the week, I only have the Boss and I but, I apparently have no self control! Cooking for two is harder for me simply because I’m terrible about getting something out of the blasted freezer! I really need to get back to planning things a week in advance.
Also agree about thinking “I’ve got to do that” then never doing the breaded project! I won’t be doing it tonight, but soon.

Rich,
I pulled out the vortex for a cook last night, I love that thing. I have yet to do breaded chicken with the vortex. Every time I see you make this meal, I think I got to get on that! Maybe after this great rendition it will finally set in for me to get on it. Great looking chicken and great looking sides.

I have to say I notice for the first time that only half your grill is foiled, that got me thinking I better not blink or my kids will be all grown up and it will just be my wife and I. Right now I fill that whole outside grate up when I fire up the kettle with the vortex. I really love my wife and do look forward to when I am just cooking for her and I, but right now I am really enjoying the life with these kids growing up around us and I love cooking for them.
Cooking for two can be a pain at times, espically as we get older and don't eat as much. that's why you see four thighs I make extras and freeze them and heat those up when Barb works late or we don't feel like cooking. I put them in a food saver bag and just put them in a pot of water and heat them for about 20 minuets. They come out just as fresh as when they came off the grill.
The fun thing with the KFC (kettle fried chicken) is there are so many different combinations you can use for the breading. Tortilla chips and any seasoning or rub you want to add. I've used salad garlic croutons ground up in the spice grinder which was very good. I've also found that plain yellow mustard is great for holding the breading on and doesn't seem to add any flavor of it's own. Next up will be ground up Doritos and a little of my homemade taco seasoning, ought to be interesting.

Back