Cg 22.5 ots

George Santos

TVWBB Member
I did buy yesterday an OTS 22.5 for 20.00. It is from 2011; currently I am removing old crust from the inside. The cover is in good shape, with just a scratch along a portion of the rim, about 1.5" long. The charcoal grate was bended downward but me standing on top of it got it back to shape. It can be replaced after a couple of cooks. Where I am most concerned is with the blades of the OTS. I haven't got to clean them yet, so I am not sure I would replace them right now, but I will in time. Oh, and the top grate is the hinged one just needing some intensive TLC.

All in all I am very pleased with it. After the removal of the old crust I am sure I could run some q there as is. Later I will post some pictures.

Who Hooo!!!

Question

I did buy yesterday an OTS 22.5 for 20.00. It is from 2011; currently I am removing old crust from the inside. The cover is in good shape, with just a scratch along a portion of the rim, about 1.5" long. The charcoal grate was bended downward but me standing on top of it got it back to shape. It can be replaced after a couple of cooks. Where I am most concerned is with the blades of the OTS. I haven't got to clean them yet, so I am not sure I would replace them right now, but I will in time. Oh, and the top grate is the hinged one just needing some intensive TLC.

All in all I am very pleased with it. After the removal of the old crust I am sure I could run some q there as is. Later I will post some pictures.

Who Hooo!!!

I turned the kettle upside down and there seems to be a screw with a handle. It is rusted so I will have to use PB blaster or Sprasolvo for at least a day to be able to turn it. Most replacements that I have seen come with an H clamp. Does anybody has it with this kind of screw?

I turned the kettle upside down and there seems to be a screw with a handle. It is rusted so I will have to use PB blaster or Sprasolvo for at least a day to be able to turn it. Most replacements that I have seen come with an H clamp. Does anybody has it with this kind of screw?

The screw is the old style. Your kettle might be older then 2011. The screw type are notorious for rusting and fusing. Those thumb screws are notorious for having the head twisting off.

If you can loosen, great, but if not, you may wish to just cut it off with dremel or grinder and replace with the new style one touch system:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B005LVAZ3A/tvwb-20

If you are looking to "degunk" the kettle the old grease and smoke come off easily: rub dish soap on the kettle and lid inside and out and let it soak overnight. the next day use
a razor scraper or putty knife and the grease and gunk comes right off. Give everything a good rinse. I've done this one many CL finds and they come out good as new inside.

For grates restoration: an overnight soak in vinegar and baking soda will help remove some surface rust and debris. After soaking a wire brush or a wire wheel on a drill will do a decent job on grates. Once the nickel plating is gone rust removal is tougher so season with vegetable oil.

Last edited:
I have been applying WD-40 to the thumb screw but I have seen pictures of people cutting it as you say. The blades seems to be closing tight yet but I have to test it so I will keep the cleanup task. The letters on the lid are AA that's why I thought was a 2011. It sure is a fun project.

Thanks for all the info. Most appreciated!!

Back