cast iron myths (in my experience)

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
its been a little while back but I posted about having a lot of older used pieces. I was at the time in the process of cleaning them up etc. 2 rounds of oven cleaner worked on the ones I wanted to start completely over with. I used orbital sanders on a few. first mistake I made was using to fine of grit. I would say don't go above 180 (as in don't get any smoother). whoops. the seasoning (an any form I used) stuck better to the sides and bottom corners then on the middle and that kind of told me that maybe the 220 grit had something to do w/ that. I've read don't sand your CI in a few places and they should read "don't sand it to smooth" instead cause it works really good if you don't go above around 180 or so (appearantly). You don't have to sand it though of course, but whatever you do I wouldn't stop cleaning any old rusty pieces until it looks like silver. (yes they actually do look like silver). I THINK, but don't know for sure, that this was part of my success through trial and error.
For the full, all the way around (the pan, top and bottom) seasoning, using the oven is a good thing (just my experience). but for the 3rd and 4th and however other many times its a joke. the skillet on the bbq was WAY better. The food is in the skillet anyway for the most part. that where you want it built up thick (as it will be in the future anyway).
more then obvious to me is that 350 degrees is NOT hot enough in my experience. i wanted carbonazation (is that a word?) not tar..stuff. 480-500 worked really good. you may as well season it 3 or 4 times too,(i used melted crisco) VERY thin each time.
The sucky part (but seemed to be the right thing to do) is to make a point of making greasy, fatty, oily (whatever) type things for the first several (maybe 15-20?? not sure..) meals. yes sucky, like I said, but man it seems to be a good thing, you can just watch them turn black, very slowly, but they turn, nonetheless. In my experience chicken fried steak seemed to really absorb (or whatever). I fry eggs no problem at this point.. pretty sweet. the heat transfer is unbelievable (this is new to me.. im sure you already knew that) and cornbread is awsome.
I've concluded that all of the above really sucks about C.I. but when you get to that broken in point theres really nothing else i'de rather spend a BUNCH of money on. BUT IMHO if you do have the money.. well... it was kind of tedious and sucky.. if your me, C.I. is the only way to go.
I found that newer not so broken in pieces dont like to be cleaned w/ salt like i've heard. it almost "sands" off what small amount of seasoning you have put on. With my more used pieces it seems to be good and fine though. BUT since i screwed up the newer ones w/ salt i've actually just found that setting it on a nice hot skillet for a while and then taking a moist paper towel to it (while its fairly hot) takes off everything so far if there is anything sticking.
do they make things taste better?...heck NO
do they provide an extra dose of iron intake..who really knows or has time to figure it out and with what instrument
icon_wink.gif

does it make better cornbread?... yes this is actually true, **** ya.
there not that heavy and inconvenient are they?... ya they kind of are in the kitchen, esp. when your busy.
there easy to clean?...not always depends on what your making, get about 6 paper towels ready. i'de rather clean anything else myself.
No i don't think that soap will hurt a nice used one. But do I use soap?... WELL NO!
icon_biggrin.gif

Cool Dan - sounds like you have a bit of an addiction
icon_smile.gif

I have quite few pieces of cast iron that I use on a regular basis. All of them vintage pieces. I would never take sand paper, wire brush, sand blasting or abrasives of any kind to them. Nothing that actually removes metal. That's just me.

Unless they are the new stuff like Lodge and I was trying to create a smooth surface like on the vintage pieces, but really not necessary for the Lodge pieces to work right.

The stuff from China I wouldn't bother with at all. Don't like it.

For proper restoration and cleaning of cast iron this is probably the best place you'll find. And best place to go for advice IMHO:

Cast Iron Care and Restoration

I've never found using kosher salt and a little oil or water ever removed the seasoning on any of my pieces. If it does the seasoning isn't really carbonized. But - I rarely need to do that with a properly seasoned pan.

Using too much oil during the seasoning process is a common error. You really need the temps up around 350-400 degrees. The oil is applied very light wiped to the point that it seem like it's not there. You definitely don't want thick and sticky when your done.

do they make things taste better?...heck NO

I agree with you in almost all things except ground beef. There's something about that cast iron that imparts some kind of something to ground beef. There's definitely a flavor enhancement. Don't know why, but I've done side-by-side cooks in the past just to prove my point.

i think what im really waiting for is for mine to reach the same point as r benashes. sounds like yours have been around a while and are nicely coated. I was hesitant w/ the sanding stuff but these were really rusty and very sad looking, I think I just decided it would be quick and I had the stuff to do it. I agree though. thanks for the links to guys. those are pretty good compared to some i've found, im pretty new at this.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garland Hudgins:
One of the best posting I have ever read on seasoning CI is from the Chowhound:

http://chowhound.chow.com/topics/433869#2875040 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yup, and here is a piece she did, fresh off her seasoning procedure. I.e. there has been no cooking yet, just seasoning. Look how shiny and black that is.
69366_img_0915a.20100201224016.jpg

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Don't know why, but I've done side-by-side cooks in the past just to prove my point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cullen, if you used a non-stick skillet for comparison; that may be the difference. Cast iron and stainless steel (not non-stick) do a superior job with browning/searing. That browning ( Maillard reaction) adds flavor.

Paul

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Paul K:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Don't know why, but I've done side-by-side cooks in the past just to prove my point. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cullen, if you used a non-stick skillet for comparison; that may be the difference. Cast iron and stainless steel (not non-stick) do a superior job with browning/searing. That browning ( Maillard reaction) adds flavor.

Paul </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't think that it's the cast iron itself that makes it taste better but more the heat retention characteristics that can give better results as compared to other materials.

Today for example - I have the #14 Griswold out. Making some tri tip chili. I needed to sear two 1.5lb or there about TT's. I heated that big hunk of iron at 400 degrees for about a half hour.

Pulled it to the cook top and cranked up the gas eye full. The tri's were sitting at room temp with Susie Q on them for a few hours.

The sear came pretty quick and even on both of them at once. The cast iron has lots of heat ballast and stayed hot until all sides and edges were seared nicely. The pre heat and the full flame made the entire surface area available a cooking surface, even the sides of the pan.

Given a SS pan I think it would have cooled down to quick trying to do so much at one time.

So the sear came on quick and I think I got better carmelization (faster) and flavor as a result. I only took one bit when breaking them down for the chili, but it tasted so darn good it was hard not to just stop there, and make up some chimicurri and call dinner ready
icon_smile.gif
But I have plenty of tri tip and time for that once I get the grill out from under the snow.

I think that if I had a big Falk SS line copper pan it might work just as well. Just looking for someone to lend me one ? $$$$

So in this case CI worked better than if I tried to use my SS for this quantity. You could also cube it up and brown in a smaller pan or in a CI DO, but my point is that the ballast of the CI held the heat and kept things from braising instead of searing. Would SS work fine? Yes, but I would have had to take more time and cook less quantity at a time.

Of course the exhaust fan was on to pull the smoke outside
icon_smile.gif

Still I would like to have maybe 2 or 3 pieces of Falk to round out the gear
icon_smile.gif

Over the weekend and today I must have used 6 different pieces of CI though. It's not for everything for sure, but for some things it's the best IMHO.

Back