Cast iron deep dish

CaseT

TVWBB Platinum Member
To wrap up the long weekend we decided that a good cast iron pizza was in order!

Made the dough up yesterday. It’s a simple recipe. I weigh out the ingredients but here’s the cup and spoon recipe.

2 cups flour
3/4 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon yeast

3/4 cup warm water (90-93f)
1 tablespoon olive oil

Mix dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
You can mix by hand but I prefer the stand mixer with paddle blade on.

Put on medium speed slowly add water then oil. Mix until everything is incorporated about 45 seconds to 1 minute.Cover bowl and let sit 5 minutes. With wet hands grab dough ball and stretch up. The back down rotate 99 degrees repeat stretch. Do this 2 more times. Cover let rest. Repeat the stretching process every 5 minutes3 more times. Let dough rest 45 minutes to 1 hour covered in a warm spot. Put covered dough into the fridge a minimum of 12 hour maximum 72.

3 hours prior to cooking pizza remove dough from fridge. In a 12” cast iron skillet add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil. Spread around bottom and sides. Place dough into skillet. Flip dough over. Using finger tips press dough out to the sides. Cover and let sit 15 minutes. If dough has receded from sides repeat pressing out. Cover let sit until cooking.

Preheat oven or smoker to 450.

Prep pizza. Cover entire surface of dough with shredded mozzarella. Dollop sauce on top of cheese. Put on toppings you desire. Top with mozzarella and Parmesan.

Bake for 18-20 minutes with rack in lower portion of oven. Move pizza to upper portion of oven and bake for 4-5 minutes longer.

Remove from oven. Run knife around edge. Let cool slightly. Carefully remove pizza from from cast iron and let rest on rack or cutting board for 5 minutes. Enjoy.

D9B36A99-C524-46A9-9931-642AB7237A9E.jpeg37776650-76F6-4D0B-95B5-06D331B80C22.jpegC7B9E2D2-13FB-4CA7-B745-066DAFB3147B.jpeg63E110AD-F92B-452D-BE89-225C8D69B394.jpegC3DFA090-CE4A-43F5-8735-3E58F87B85F7.jpeg0C9BFE39-ADB6-4F68-83FC-34CB38F498A8.jpeg

Nice! I'm still full from supper but I think I could find a way to put away a slice! A friend from Philadelphia told me how his favorite places use the sauce-over-cheese method, and after trying it I'm a convert.

Secret pizza tip: the next time you make one, grease the side of the pan with butter instead of oil, separate the crust away from the side ever so slightly, and put extra cheese around the edge so that it melts down into the gap. The result will hopefully be a crust with a buttery, cheesy, crispy edge.

Last edited:
Nice! I'm still full from supper but I think I could find a way to put away a slice! A friend from Philadelphia told me how his favorite places use the sauce-over-cheese method, and after trying it I'm a convert.

Secret pizza tip: the next time you make one, grease the side of the pan with butter instead of oil, separate the crust away from the side ever so slightly, and put extra cheese around the edge so that it melts down into the gap. The result will hopefully be a crust with a buttery, cheesy, crispy edge.

Thank you Brad!

I have taken it a bit farter by applying cheese to the bottom and the sides prior to putting the dough in the skillet. Used slightly pre-cooked bacon weave once too. Then place the dough in.

I'm dying over here! That looks delicious.

Get that man Pizza Stat or we're going to lose him!

Thank you, It was really good! We polished it off no leftovers. Going to need to make two next time. I like cold pizza for breakfast and there wasn't any left.

Last edited:
Absolutely nailed it! That caramelized , crusty edge on a pan pizza is just so good when it's done right.

And the cold pizza for breakfast...... is sooooo good. I will freely admit I have paired my cold breakfast pizza with a cold beer on occasion.

That looks like the real deal Case. We make the cast iron pizzas too, but it's been awhile. Like the idea of sauce over cheese will give that a try next time.

Absolutely nailed it! That caramelized , crusty edge on a pan pizza is just so good when it's done right.

And the cold pizza for breakfast...... is sooooo good. I will freely admit I have paired my cold breakfast pizza with a cold beer on occasion.

always take cold pizza camping so I can have a beer or a Michelada with breakfast first morning!

That looks like the real deal Case. We make the cast iron pizzas too, but it's been awhile. Like the idea of sauce over cheese will give that a try next time.
Thanks Rich!
By putting the sauce in after the first layer of cheese it doesn’t cook into the dough or make the dough soggy.

Since I've switched to the "cheese first" method, I don't use the shredded stuff. I cut planks of provolone and lay them down, and while the sauce can reach the crust through the gaps the overall result is good. I also parbake the crust a little bit.

Since I've switched to the "cheese first" method, I don't use the shredded stuff. I cut planks of provolone and lay them down, and while the sauce can reach the crust through the gaps the overall result is good. I also parbake the crust a little bit.

Holy Cheesus!

i just picked up some more dough yesterday planning on making two pies this weekend one can never eat to much grilled pizza LOL

Looks tasty. I do a similar pizza but i preheat the pan to 500 and then butter it flop in the dough then top it and back in she goes. Crispy crust too!
Just gotta be careful and have the exhaust fan on high. My wife and I tag-team it, its fun. I still dont know how to post pics otherwise I would.

Back