care to share you best chicken soup recipe?

Brett-EDH

TVWBB Hall of Fame
i deboned a bunch of thighs and split breasts last night and have all these great bones for a stock.

i usually sear them off on a stockpot, with some chicken skin for the fat/render, and then add water and gently simmer for a few hours with the lid propped open a smidge.

once the stock is made, i then build and assemble an actual soup.

so, care to share your best chicken soup recipe? open to all versions, even those with turmeric in them (color and anti-inflammatory (so says the marketing people).

this group is very diverse and from many backgrounds so i'm sure there's something really good out there i am missing.

and hey, tis the season for chicken soup.

Pretty loose recipe for mine and varies a bit every time I have a chicken carcass. I boil the carcass, remove from the stock and allow to cool, trim off meat and add back to the stock. Add a package or 2 of frozen, mixed veggies as well as any small amounts of onions, carrots and/or celery that happen to be in the fridge. Season with SPG to taste and add in some rice or pasta. For a thicker soup I also add a couple of finely diced spuds or some left-over mashed taters and cook down a bit. Taste and add SPG as needed, and it's done. Sometimes we garnish a bowl with a few tortilla chips and some grated cheddar or jack.
Nothing spectacular or consistent but always tasty and well received, especially when it's cold out.

Last edited:
Made this a few times and we really like it.

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients

2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
3 cups cooked wild rice
2 cups cubed cooked chicken

Directions

In a large saucepan, combine the first 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken, heat through.

Made this a few times and we really like it.

Chicken Wild Rice Soup

Ingredients

2 quarts chicken broth
1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, chopped
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/4 cup butter, cubed
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
1/2 cup dry white wine or additional chicken broth
3 cups cooked wild rice
2 cups cubed cooked chicken

Directions

In a large saucepan, combine the first 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
In Dutch oven, melt butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually whisk in broth mixture. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Whisk in soup and wine. Add rice and chicken, heat through.
very interesting for a creamy soup. sounds super hearty and stick-to-your-lungs type of soup.

My family often does some variations on this:

Take one chicken carcass and/or assorted parts, rub in salt of your choice, and then bring to boil in ~4 quart stockpot or casserole with some slice of ginger. Simmer for about 20-30 min, scoop off anything gross. Toss in a few red jujube if available. It’s really just a stock but my family will often just salt to taste and consume this as is, especially if chicken thighs or legs are included.

You can also used two cornish game hens (again rubbed in salt) instead for similar effect.

After the initial boil and simmer, we’ll sometimes simmer daikon, carrot, onion, etc. in there, depending on what we have available.

I also have a more involved recipe derived from trying to copy a specific pho ga from a long defunct Pho restaurant that I need to dig out and type up (it consists mostly of notes scribbled in various places and shoved into a kitchen drawer at my parents’ house for “safe-keeping”). I even adapted it (through much trial and error) to using an Instant Pot for those who don’t enjoy cooking as a hobby as much some of us here do. I think I promised this one to my family years ago and just never got around to sharing it. :ROFLMAO:

My family often does some variations on this:

Take one chicken carcass and/or assorted parts, rub in salt of your choice, and then bring to boil in ~4 quart stockpot or casserole with some slice of ginger. Simmer for about 20-30 min, scoop off anything gross. Toss in a few red jujube if available. It’s really just a stock but my family will often just salt to taste and consume this as is, especially if chicken thighs or legs are included.

You can also used two cornish game hens (again rubbed in salt) instead for similar effect.

After the initial boil and simmer, we’ll sometimes simmer daikon, carrot, onion, etc. in there, depending on what we have available.

I also have a more involved recipe derived from trying to copy a specific pho ga from a long defunct Pho restaurant that I need to dig out and type up (it consists mostly of notes scribbled in various places and shoved into a kitchen drawer at my parents’ house for “safe-keeping”). I even adapted it (through much trial and error) to using an Instant Pot for those who don’t enjoy cooking as a hobby as much some of us here do. I think I promised this one to my family years ago and just never got around to sharing it. :ROFLMAO:
i do a lot of stuff similar to your for the soup prep. oil in a stock pot and drop in sliced ginger and green onions to infuse the oil with the aromatics.

here's a link to my recent Pho Ga, if you find it helpful. it's a pretty good, fast, Pho Ga and works well. https://tvwbb.com/threads/pho-ga-chicken-pho-soup-in-30-minutes.93474/

the daikon, and parsnip or rutabaga are also goto's for a nice, sweeter flavor in a soup. i'll use them at different times/cooks.

keep the ideas coming. still seeking to expand my horizon here. TY all!

When I was a lad, my mom was horrible at chicken soup. She didn't fully appreciate how much liquid rice soaks up when it cooks, so her chicken soup always came out with mountains of rice sticking up above the liquid. We didn't complain - it tasted great and filled you up.

When I was a lad, my mom was horrible at chicken soup. She didn't fully appreciate how much liquid rice soaks up when it cooks, so her chicken soup always came out with mountains of rice sticking up above the liquid. We didn't complain - it tasted great and filled you up.
jajaja. sounds more like chicken and rice for dinner! you'd love this dish then: https://tasty.co/recipe/hainanese-chicken-rice

it's dang good! really good. like crack good.

I cut up carrots/onions/celery. The perfect slices are reserved for the soup. The ugly bits go in with the chicken bones to make the broth. Slosh of heavy cream or half and half to make it creamy (optional). Wild rice and mushrooms make it extra fancy.

Back