Candied Yams

Evan-MA

Anyone make candied yams on the WSM or Kettle? Im planning on using canned yams(I know, I know…), additional brown sugar, and a layer of mini marshmallows on top. I’ll have the Dutch oven lid off half of the cook, to catch some of that good flavor.

Nope, never done that, I got tired of the marshmallow stuff a long long time ago unless I was doing individual sweet potato soufflés with my grand daughter when we “Brûlée“d them, that was a TON of fun! She is a great Sous Chef!

Smoke doesnt go with everything

My sweet potatoes are cut into wedges, cooked with sugar , a touch of flour, tad of lemon juice and nutmeg, with a little water so they make a sweet syrupy glaze.
Still have body, edges get slightly chewy.

Not mush slices drowned in syrup with marshmallows on top.

Last edited:
Lol I’d try and probably like your candied yams Evan.

How did they turn out btw?

I’d assume that the mallows took a lot of smoke ?

Lol I’d try and probably like your candied yams Evan.

How did they turn out btw?

I’d assume that the mallows took a lot of smoke ?
I followed the directions on the Bruce’s Yams can, and used a Dutch Oven, with a few chunks of cherry on the coals. The yams cooked for around 40min at 350 before I added a layer of mini marshmallows that cooked to a golden brown. The flavor was nice smokey-sweet but the consistency was more like mashed sweet potatoes. Next time, I’ll use the same recipe but with fresh yams, not canned.

Last edited:
Those potatoes sound good to me, Evan.
Since toasted marshmallows are so good, I bet the smoked marshmallows were great too.

I misread the first sentence of your last post and thought "Mmm, cherries". LOL
But I have a decadent recipe that I intend to try for Christmas (not on grill), involving Bourbon, pecans and other stuff and now I plan to top it with cherries too! LOL

Back