Can I rescue my 2006 Summit S-450?

VinceCowal

I have had this grill for most of its life, having acquired it for a few hundred dollars from a couple who decided they preferred charcoal. It's been an amazing grill. The infrared burner and rotisserie still work fine. Recently The flames were very uneven (some high yellow), so I carefully cleaned the burners; then I got even but rather high yellow flames. I removed the manifold and took the burners out; the screens had only a little carbon deposit on them, which I removed. BUT, I did notice the rusting on the front panel and on the one piece of sheet of metal just in from the front panel and over the burners. Is the front repairable? Can I get metal to put between the porcelain and sheet metal and another piece to cover the metal piece over the burners? And what would fix the yellow flame issue? Thanks.
20210614_151329.jpg20210614_151351.jpg20210614_151435.jpg
20210614_152926.jpg20210614_153921.jpg 20210614_154027.jpg

If you can locate the serial #, I would call Weber support and ask about a new cook box under warranty. Also probably dangerous to use it with the hole in the front panel.

I'm with Joe, if Weber can't/won't help with parts, give it a nice burial and get a new or used in good condition. Not worth risking an accident to save the cost of replacement grill.

Those front panels are the soft spot in the Summit grills. Eventually, those holes will become bigger holes and pretty soon you have flames coming up the outside of the cook box and it just so happens that the manifold is right there.
So, yes, if you cannot get that fixed, I suggest you move on to your next Weber.

Yes on these 3rd generation grills you can still get a new firebox. Judging by the burn marks on the lid the issue has been awhile. Until then I would not use it. With the size of that hole it's not safe. You need flavorizer bars as well. Looks like one or 2 have burned through

I called Weber, and the warranty for this grill expired (except for the lid). Weber will sell me a new cookbox for $432. I'm tempted to bite the bullet and pay for the cookbox, heat shield, bars, and burners, and do my best at restoring the look of what's left, as the infrared and side burners work fine. If I can get a "new" grill for 600-700, it seems worth it.

A question regarding the yellow flames (all burner flames are like the single one in the pic above). The burners look fine to me, and I've cleaned them and the screens well. The flames still lap around the bars a lot more than they used to (bars, except for the end of one, are fine). Is the higher yellow flame likely just the result of age of burners, or might this be a regulator issue? Thanks.

Sadly odds are your grill failed FAR before you noticed it. Weber should do a good will gesture and replace it. Although at least you can actually buy one unlike what I went through with Weber. Grill under warranty but they no longer made the part so left me high and dry. My reasoning why my hard earned $$$$ will never again be spent on a "new" Weber product. I will buy another "old" Genesis and refurb it if I ever need to replace my current one

I was in the same boat as you last spring except mine was a craigslist purchase. I decided to cut my losses and purchased that exact Napoleon grill that Joe linked. Zero regrets. It is a fantastic grill.

Well, Dave addressed my first question, and based on LMichaels’ experience with discontinued parts under warranty, I am indeed reluctant to buy a new expensive box. Yesterday I slid two folded pieces of heavy-duty aluminum foil between the front panel and the flavor bars, and I saw no flame getting past the foil as I grilled fish. Obviously not a long term solution, I know :). But I am now leaning towards finding a piece of scrap steel or aluminum, cutting holes for the burners, and putting it in front of the rusted front panel and over the rusted edge of the flavorizer bracket. Then I can use it until the right deal comes along.

Any opinion about the yellow flame? Are the burners which look OK to me simply too rusted?

Thanks for all the feedback. It's definitely helped!

Yellow flames usually = dirty stuff. Pay attention to all the areas air is SUPPOSED to get in. As yellow indicates a "rich" (too high fuel to air ratio) mixture. Don't go "adjusting" stuff. Things don't go out of adjustment by themselves. Find the issue(s)

If it were me...Which it is not, and I wanted the feature set you do, I would go for the Napoleon Prestige 500 RSIB. Cast aluminum cook box with lifetime warranty bumper to bumper. https://www.napoleon.com/en/us/gril...estige-series/prestige-500-rsib-p500rsibpss-3

Came here to say this. If you need something as big as a Summit, and assuming Weber let's you down (they will), buy a Napoleon Prestige and never worry again.

I hope someone has bought tvnbb.com, because we are all gonna be over there in 10 years showing off pictures of our Napoleon grill flips.

I don't say this to be argumentative, nor to speak ill of a Napoleon, and some may be speaking of experience where I'm touching only on what I've studied from their site, but if their Prestige cook box is not aluminum casting--at its entirety--does it truly have a lifetime warranty? Their warranty logo banner reads "Bumper to Bumper" but not all components are covered under the terms of a lifetime warranty.

When I recently decided on a Summit I just simply was not convinced I'd be better off with a Prestige line but my decision was based only on what I was able to decipher online. For features, I was not able to convince myself I'd be a fan of curved grates, I prefer silkscreen to be on the valve knobs rather than the face plate (simpler and potentially less costly replacement), and it feels like I would not like moving my steak outside of the cook box to the external sear plate (more messy and potential for losing the meat). But fortunately that's why diversity exists because not many folks like my taste :)

I don't say this to be argumentative, nor to speak ill of a Napoleon, and some may be speaking of experience where I'm touching only on what I've studied from their site, but if their Prestige cook box is not aluminum casting--at its entirety--does it truly have a lifetime warranty? Their warranty logo banner reads "Bumper to Bumper" but not all components are covered under the terms of a lifetime warranty.

When I recently decided on a Summit I just simply was not convinced I'd be better off with a Prestige line but my decision was based only on what I was able to decipher online. For features, I was not able to convince myself I'd be a fan of curved grates, I prefer silkscreen to be on the valve knobs rather than the face plate (simpler and potentially less costly replacement), and it feels like I would not like moving my steak outside of the cook box to the external sear plate (more messy and potential for losing the meat). But fortunately that's why diversity exists because not many folks like my taste :)
Yes I flipped a NG Prestige and was very very impressed with the quality. It has a cast aluminum fire box as I mentioned above. If it had been LP it would have been my dream gasser and what I hope Weber will one day make.

Yes I flipped a NG Prestige and was very very impressed with the quality. It has a cast aluminum fire box as I mentioned above. If it had been LP it would have been my dream gasser and what I hope Weber will one day make.

I can confirm what Joe is saying. I own a Prestige 500. Is the Lifetime Bumper to Bumper truly Bumper-to-Bumper? No. But what isn't lifetime is still 15yr. And as I've said, I've got no regrets with purchasing it.

Hi, had the same issue with my 12 year old S670. Called Weber on a Sunday, rep put me on hold and came back on in five minutes to tell me a new cookbox is on its way !! Don't give up, call back. Some reps couldn't care less and will warranty it. Others act as it's they own the company.
A few months ago I called a major company about an issue with one of their shoes. Rep told be I'll warranty it and give you 20% off anything else you would like to order. I jumped at the opportunity because this place never has sales. She then said " today's my last day, I couldn't care less"...

ya i needed a cook box for one of my grills one guy said it was out of warranty called back the next day talked to another guy... my new free cook box is on its way

Back