Can i join the Skyline Club?

KodyMorse

Hello fellow Weber grill enthusiasts. Hoping i can join the Skyline Club.

I found this beauty at my local thrift store in Longmont, CO. Weber Skyline Silver A 2 burner grill. Unsure what year made, label was totally faded. $22 (half off because on Saturdays everything's 50% off), so only paid $11. The girlfriend would not let me buy it, so i waited until we left the store and got home, then i snuck out and went back to the store to purchase it and then i hid it in the garage. "You already have a Weber grill, why do you need another one?".

Unfortunately it is missing the bottom grease tray, which i purchased for $35 on amazon. LINK.

Other then that its in overall pretty good condition. Little to no fading. Burners, flavorizer bars, and grates i think will be salvageable after hitting them with some simple green and the power washer. Not opposed to buying new ones though if needed. Will have to see if the igniter still works, i didn't test it. Got a new regulator even though the old one may have sufficed. Wheels both work fine, but don't look great and the white parts are peeling off. I'll likely replace them to make it look better.

I've now got it taken apart, been sanding and using teak oil on cedar slats that i bought and cut to size. Kinda unsure if i should have stuck with the grey durawood, or the cedar i purchased from lowes and have been working to look nice with teak oil, sanding, and finally some spar urethane to finish with to add a level of pretection from the elements. The durawood looks good, but not great, and i'm unsure if it can be restored/painted to look better. Any opinions on which route to go, the cedar or durawood?

My plan is to power wash the inside as soon as i can turn the water back on (Colorado winters prevent me from turning on the water for ~1 more month, dont want sprinkler pipes to crack).

In the mean time, i plan to spray the outside of the grill with high heat spray paint, using rustoleum high heat flat black. Do i need to sand the outside of the grill before spraying, or can i get away without doing so? What would i sand it with? Not seeing any rust anywhere fortunately.

I will do an update once i've got the grill totally restored and operating. Really appreciate everyone on this forum and the advice you've given to others, you've helped me understand what i need to do to get this grill in great shape again I'm hoping i can execute well, even if this is my first grill restoration. My other Weber is a newer Genesis ii E-310 3 burner propane, the model without doors. Maybe I'm weird, but i would prefer cooking on this skyline then i would on the newer model i own.

On a side note, i would highly recommend getting a Weber grill with doors if you have a dog. The dogs keeps grabbing the grease tray and going to town and i haven't found a solution to this yet. I have to replace the foil very regularly. Any recommendations to solve this problem are very appreciated.

IMG_3905.jpgIMG_3892.jpg

IMG_3909.jpgIMG_3908.jpgIMG_3906.jpg

"On a side note, i would highly recommend getting a Weber grill with doors if you have a dog. The dogs keeps grabbing the grease tray and going to town and i haven't found a solution to this yet. I have to replace the foil very regularly. Any recommendations to solve this problem are very appreciated."

A liberal dose of cayenne pepper in the tray should do the trick. Might take a few repeats, but they'll learn.

Hey Kody, welcome to the forum and the club! What you have there is the 520. It's a sporty little grill that looks good when cleaned up. Looks like your black enameled surfaces have the fade that's impossible to restore but a good cleaning and a few hacks (like rubbing with "Pam" or oil), it could look awright. You're limited on the innards - you should be able to get burners and igniter and bars but the grates are only available in porcelain. At least last time I checked. Great starter grill, doesn't crank out big BTU but nice for the deck when doing a few burgers or doing indirect cooking with a small roast or something. I'd be careful about your rehab budget as the $ add up to rehab one of these babies, and you may be better off getting a basic x000. Have fun and welcome to the club. PS wire brush the end caps and go to the sticky for a million tips on rehabbing and for leads on parts.
Here's a pic of my 520.

Yah, that is a valid ticket to the Skyline club. Nice score on that one. Those two burners are hard to find.
Unless paint is peeling on the outside of the cook box, just clean it up real good with an oven cleaner or other good cleaner. Then rub it down with some Xylol or rubbing alcohol and let it dry, then spray it with a high temp paint. I like the Rustoleum high heat flat.

Skyline Club logo.jpg
Welcome to the Club, Kody!

As one of the charter members I am still wanting my own two-burner version. That is pretty nice one, especially after you clean it up. What you choose to do is, of course, governed by how much you want to spend. You can certainly clean it up and be good to go. For flavorizer bars, it wouldn't be too much to get a set of stainless flavorizer bars. Here's a good, reasonable ($23.99) option:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B01AWLSIL4/tvwb-20

For the grates, for $41 these look like a promising option. They will last and clean up a lot easier than the stock ones you have now:

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07MH7DJBR/tvwb-20

Still, these are just ideas that you can work towards. When the weather improves, I would concentrate first on getting it cleaned up nice and try it out as it is.

Glad to have you in our Club! :coolkettle:

Appreciate the warm welcome.

@Tony, Your grill is a beauty. I hope mine looks half as good as yours once its completed. I already have the Weber bag like you do to go over the propane tank. Thanks for the tips to clean it up. I realize with this being a smaller grill i may be limited on the BTU, fortunately i have a newer 3 burner that i can use when this may not suffice.

@Bruce, I appreciate the advice, and glad you told me about the Xylol/rubbing alcohol as i hadn't read about using that before. I think i'll be able to get away without sanding the outside which is great.

@Jon, thanks for sharing those flavorizer bars and grates links with me. I picked up the flavorizer bars and am going to seriously consider the grates. My goal was to keep the project under $100, and i'm currently at $90, so may need to splurge if i want new grates as well. If i get them i'll be at $131 (plus my labor). May not make this thing a big money maker if i decide to sell someday but that's ok. I would rather have this beauty for $131 then to get a grill for a similar price from the hardware store.

My other Weber grill is a 2017 Black Genesis 3 Burner that was made in China. This is the first American made grill i've ever owned and cant wait to get it working well again.

Kody: Just use the grill as is. You can buy the grates any time. But, I guarantee you won't be sorry you did when you finally do. They are so much easier to work with and keep clean than the stamped steel or cast iron ones and they will last forever.

That grill will outlast your 2017.

Kody, real nice job on that Skyline A! The options Jon suggested are indeed budget friendly and will no doubt last . I admit to getting a bit carried away and going with Dave S bars and grates, but no regrets at all as they are very high quality! We use ours almost daily for burgers, chicken etc the quick stuff. Other cooks get the blue performer treatment like tonights steak! I hope to have this A for a long time, very well made.

Here is another one in the DFW. 2 burner Spirit 500 Skyline. But I personally have no interest in a 2 burner grill.

Back