Can I cook 7 chickens with wsm57?

Geonhee Lee

Hello
I live in Korea.
It is very difficult to get barbecue information in Korea, so I am studying on this site often.
It's my first time asking a question. Please understand that I am not good at English using a translator

This Saturday, we will cook roast chicken using WSM57

There are 7 chickens and each chicken is 2.6 lb

I'm going to cut the chicken in half and cook it
I'm going to do seven at once.

First, ignite the two chimneys (80 webber briquets)

After preheating, cook at 355°F to 375°F for 2 hours (no water added)

The weather is expected to be 26.6°F.

I have a question.

Q1. Can I get 355°F to 375°F since there are 7 chickens?

Q2. How long can it last if you can get 355°F to 375°F?

Q3. If you can't get 355°F to 375°F, can you get it by adding briquets without reducing the number of chickens?

Q4. After cooking, wrap it in foil and put it in an outdoor cooler to keep warm before eating
How long can you keep it warm?

Q5. I want to add one apple tree chunk every 15 minutes, do I need to add more?

Thank you for reading this long message
I look forward to your kind cooperation!

Welcome Geonhee,

I'm sure you'll get some good advice. I have a couple of comments.

Others will have better suggestions than me for the coal, but I would use a lot of coal to make sure it can get hot and stay hot.

I would also avoid wind which will cool down the WSM.

if I were cooking that much chicken, I would quarter them and cook the bone-in breasts separate from the leg/thigh combos.

14 breasts on one layer and 14 leg/thigh combo's on another layer should fit OK.

You mentioned adding smoke wood. I would not add it during the cook, just place it in with the coals.

Do you have a good instant read thermometer? Temp checking the meat for done-ness without being over done is the best way.

For serving / holding I suggest disposable aluminum pans like these. Whatever size fits in your cooler chest. A couple of towels on the bottom of the cooler. I don't know how long it will hold, and I would not want to hold it too long. maybe 20 mins?

1670912509436.png

Good luck with your cook.

Last edited:
Hi, and welcome!

I was going to say that you'll have a hard time fitting 7 chickens in the 22" WSM unless you cook them whole and vertical, as in this photo:

22-chicken-1.jpg

22-chicken-2.jpg

But a 2.6 pound chicken is very small by American standards, so maybe you can do it. I would do some advanced planning with two test chickens, cut them in half, and visualize how 14 halves will fit on two cooking grates as shown in your diagram.

Q1. Can I get 355°F to 375°F since there are 7 chickens?
> As DanHoo says, you will need to start with a lot of hot charcoal. The WSM temp will drop once you add the cold chicken. You may need more than the two chimneys shown in your diagram.

Q2. How long can it last if you can get 355°F to 375°F?
> At those cooking temperatures, your 2.6 pound chickens will probably cook in 60 minutes or maybe less. If you use enough hot charcoal, you should be able to achieve those temperatures for that length of time.

Q3. If you can't get 355°F to 375°F, can you get it by adding briquets without reducing the number of chickens?
> Yes, light more hot charcoal in a chimney and add it to the WSM.

Q4. After cooking, wrap it in foil and put it in an outdoor cooler to keep warm before eating
How long can you keep it warm?
> Cook to an internal temperature of 160°F in the breast, 170°F in the thigh. Wrap in foil, place in an empty cooler, and cover with some towels for additional insulation, and it should stay warm at a food safe temperature for two hours.

Q5. I want to add one apple tree chunk every 15 minutes, do I need to add more?
> As DanHoo said, you don't gain anything by adding chunks every 15 minutes. I would add several chunks at the beginning and that's all.

Good luck, please share some photos!

Welcome Geonhee,

I'm sure you'll get some good advice. I have a couple of comments.

Others will have better suggestions than me for the coal, but I would use a lot of coal to make sure it can get hot and stay hot.

I would also avoid wind which will cool down the WSM.

if I were cooking that much chicken, I would quarter them and cook the bone-in breasts separate from the leg/thigh combos.

14 breasts on one layer and 14 leg/thigh combo's on another layer should fit OK.

You mentioned adding smoke wood. I would not add it during the cook, just place it in with the coals.

Do you have a good instant read thermometer? Temp checking the meat for done-ness without being over done is the best way.

For serving / holding I suggest disposable aluminum pans like these. Whatever size fits in your cooler chest. A couple of towels on the bottom of the cooler. I don't know how long it will hold, and I would not want to hold it too long. maybe 20 mins?

View attachment 63916

Good luck with your cook.
I'm going to light and cook briquettes with 2 big chimneys and 2 small chimneys full

Can the damper be adjusted and lowered when the temperature is too high?

When chicken breast reaches 185F using a thermometer, we're going to finish cooking!

Thank you for your advice It's a good thing I asked for advice from professional advice

I won't cut the chicken. I'll cook it standing up

Is it okay if I don't add beer?

There's no difference between cooking standing up and cooking lying down, right?

Two big chimneys and two small chimneys full of briquettes will be lit and cooked

I'll put the thermometer in and check

I am quite happy to ask this question with such good advice

Thank you for giving me advice that I can't get in Korea

I was so touched

The size chicken you will be cooking is quite similar to our normal size (1.2 kg).
I figure you can get them on there using both grids, keeping them whole, probably even halved
Easy enough to check once you get your chicks. Try put them whole on 1 grid. If that fits easily (lying, not standing) then halving should work

But checking your picture, you only want to use the top grid?

I'm not smart enough to answer your questions other than to speculate that you should be able to load enough fuel to reach 355f with an outdoor temp of 26f but may need to plan to add additional fuel once during your cook (others have provided very clear input on that topic).

Mainly, I want to say welcome here and good luck on your Saturday cook!

I won't cut the chicken. I'll cook it standing up

Is it okay if I don't add beer?

There's no difference between cooking standing up and cooking lying down, right?

Two big chimneys and two small chimneys full of briquettes will be lit and cooked

I'll put the thermometer in and check

I am quite happy to ask this question with such good advice

Thank you for giving me advice that I can't get in Korea

I was so touched
1)It's OK not add beer. The empty beer can or soda can is support the chicken during cook and allow heat to enter inside the bird. The only real difference to stand up or lay down is the use of space.
2)If cut into quarter peices I feel meat is cooked quicker and more evenly, but standing gives you more space to allow the heat all around the bird for a nice golden brown colored skin.
3) to get and hold 325 you will run the vents at 3/4 to full open temperatures will rise and drop anytime lid is opened, allow 15 minutes to stabilize.
You are doing a fantastic large cook to please your family,enjoy the process.
Korea is a beautiful country,and beautiful people I have visited many times.
We would love photos of your cook and family gathering .
Good luck.

Back