Can Genesis 300 Series Igniters Be Saved?

Dave in KC

TVWBB Wizard
Looking at my records, I have bought over 30 of these in the last 2 years.
Is there any kind of way to revive these, or prolong the life?

I had an issue arise last night when a customer came to pick up a 310
and this igniter became a PITA and would only spark about every third
or fourth push of the button.

H3XxXlVl.jpg

Luckily I keep a couple of spares on hand
and was able to pop a new one in, on the spot. This ended up working
well as the customer was impressed I had one on hand, and was able to
swap it out lickety split. However, there goes another $20 or whatever
out the window.

Looking inside the button

njBC16Wl.jpg

you can see a little bit of corrosion as well as on the inside of the module.

Pd6yFTXl.jpg

Has anyone ever tried saving one of these? Is the corrosion the problem
or is it something internal? I am going to try cleaning this one up with some
vinegar and baking soda this weekend, and see if that helps. I was also thiking
about trying some electrical contact cleaner????

Appreciate any advice you may have.

Dave, I would consider replacing those with the old Piezo igniters. I agree, they are way to temperamental, flimsy and prone to corrosion from moisture.

I have spent a lot of hours messing with them. Some I can coax back into operating condition and some not, no matter what I do. And like you, I hate dropping $25 on new ones that a customer will probably be calling you about within a year. I know you can swap the piezo into Q grills and the Genesis and SPirit E3xx series grills.

Last edited:
It's hard not feel they were created as a money making annuity for the companies using them on their grills. I haven't put as much effort as Bruce described, but pretty much have figured that if they don't work I probably won't be able to get them to. It certainly is worth a quick clean-up, but if that fails I would admit to giving up.

Dave:

I've had about a 4 of these. At first I thought it was the contact at the bottom in your 3rd photo, but it turns out the main issue is where the spring contacts the thin strips on the plastic button. I now just clean those contacts with emery paper, but not going sideways across the strip. I've now been using the same one for about 2 years. You can buy the button separately instead of getting a whole new igniter assembly. If you want to clean that bottom contact you can scratch it up with a screwdriver or use a pencil eraser.

Last edited:
LOL. Yah, it is just hard to give up on $25....plus I like the challenge. I just work on them at the kitchen table anyway. I don't really consider it taking away from my rehab time. But, if I get one not working, I am lucky if I have a 50/50 shot of getting it working.

I usually wind up zapping myself a couple times when working on them as well. Another challenge in itself is to try not to.

Usually just the plastic button that needs cleaning. I hope you never got tricked into holding a coil wire while a friend tried to start the car! I imagine the igniter has a similar kick.....

Anyone use dielectric grease? Same stuff that goes on spark plugs? Might be good to put on after you get it working or in new ones to prevent corrosion

2 things. dielectric grease would work fine on it. 2nd thing never clean electrical contacts with steel wool. Use sand paper or scotch brite. Steel wool leaves fine particles behind that cause rust/corrosion or short circuits.

Larry:
You are correct on the steel wool in most applications. I need to correct my post on this one to emery paper. You can't get the steel wool into the inside of the plastic cap to clean the side contacts.

I’ve been curious about reviving igniters. I’ve got 2 from Qs that aren’t working. I also have a new igniter that’s a generic replacement someone gave me years ago. Going to see if I can clean and mix match parts to get one or two working.

Yah, you can play with them while watching TV and try to get them working....thats what I do. Another solution for cleaning the contacts on them is to use a pencil eraser...even better if you can find one of those old time "Pen" erases that more abrasive. You can get them down inside the igniter. Otherwise, maybe super glue a little sand paper or emery paper to the tip of the eraser.

Yah, my dad got me on that when I was a wee lad with the lawn mower.
I was about 8 years old, give or take a year. My grandfather, give me a hand for a minute. I probably jumped two feet up and back.
My grandfather, well, it's not that.

Somehow I think that is a right of passage just like asking what is an electric fence and then being prompted to touch it.
Around the same age, someone else, touch that wire. Yup, fence works.

Wow. I'm on my factory igniter on my Genesis 300 series and it's going on about 5 years old now. I've had to replace the battery once.

Mike: Do you keep it covered? That goes a long way, but spending a month out in the elements will eat them up fast.

Mike: Do you keep it covered? That goes a long way, but spending a month out in the elements will eat them up fast.

That could be what is helping mine. I don't keep it covered but it is under a covered patio. My Performer that I just sold also was about 5 years old and the starter was still working like a charm.

image.jpg

Back