Buying a pressure cooker *****

Craig Castille

TVWBB Wizard
Hey all,

Seeing how I need a new toy, I am thinking about getting a pressure cooker.

I am thinking about an 8 quart, stainless steel....Cooks Illustrated recommends the Fagor Duo.

Any ideas? Endorsements? I appreciate everyone's opinion.

Thanks in advance, Craig.

I've used 4 of the PCs that CI tested. I'd have to say I agree with their assessment of all 4 (I expected better from the Kuhn) and would go with the Fagor.

I think Rita uses a pressure cooker often (I don't); she might have better insight. There are likely others here with more info than the little I have to say.

Bought a pressure cooker about a year ago and have never used it. What food would work good with quing? Paid about $70 bucks for it, cant remember the brand, but it seems heavy duty "kind of". Have any recipes?

I have a Russell Hobbs 8 quart electric pressure cooker and I love it. I love the set it and forget it appeal of these moder PC's. I love to cook green beans, country style ribs and pot roasts in there. I believe Cooks Essential is making the same one. My S-I-L got one off of QVC.

I was just pressure-cooking two soups (a Split Pea Soup with Ham and a Butternut Squash Soup with Sage) when this thread started.
icon_smile.gif

I do a fair amount of pressure cooking, especially in the winter. First, let me say that Cook's Illustrated doesn't "do" pressure cooking, or at least didn't when the article came out some time ago. I'll have to refresh my memory and re-read the article but as I recall, I was a bit exasperated when I read it. There are several points in their article that show some things that they might not understand fully or might be misinformed about, and I have some issues with why they downgraded the Kuhn-Rikons.

I have two Kuhn-Rikons, a 3.5 L (3 3/4 qt) and 7L (7.7 qts) and I have been pleased with them for over 10 years. They were the Cadillac of the pressure cookers when I bought them. That must have been before Fagor got energetically into the PC market. The Kuhns have a nice heavy multi-layer bottom. Very heavy duty, but yes, pretty pricey now.

Kevin, I'd be interested to hear what it was that you were disappointed with in the K-R, just for my own information and to check it out.

On the other hand, I've been hearing very good things about the Fagor Duo lately and hear that it is very easy to use (so is the Kuhn-Rikon). For just a little more money, the 8-quart/4-quart set with the steamer basket, trivet, and glass lid (so you can use either size cooker as a regular pot) is a very good buy. But you get only one pressure lid and there will be times (you might not think so for a while) when you'll want to use both the larger and the smaller cooker at the same time.

If I were to buy a pressure cooker for my daughter today, I'd get the Fagor Duo set.

Also, if you are going to get just one size cooker, I'd recommend the 8-quart size. Remember, you can only fill a pressure cooker about 2/3 full -- you must leave some headspace for the steam to build up. You'll be wanting to make soups and stews to stock your freezer. And it makes great chicken or beef stock in a hurry, although if you're looking for a really *clear* stock the traditional method is better.

Before you buy, why not check out a copy of Lorna Sass's latest book, "Pressure Perfect," and read the first chapter or two for the information it contains. Your library might have it. There are helpful tips throughout the book, such as when to add spices and garlic to the pot, etc. Also, it is the best pressure cooker recipe book out there for people who like to cook, imo, and her previous 3 books are also excellent. She includes an excellent method of cooking dried beans without having to soak them. She has a good palate and manages to simplify long ingredient lists to get the essence of ethnic recipes.

BTW, the 10-quart Fagor Duo can also be used for canning.

Side notes: Pressure-cooking cuts down on fuel costs and heat in the kitchen. I've been known to use it on the side burner of my gasser.

Now, what was the original question?.....
icon_smile.gif

Rita

P.S. If you want a *really* pricey pressure cooker, check out the WMF PRESSURE COOKER that Williams-Sonoma carries. But you'd better be in shape to pick it up! That thing is gorgeous and is built like a battleship! And it's only 6.5 quarts.

Jeff, how long have you had your Russell Hobbs?

A word of caution, if I may. I bought a Russell Hobbs digital PC when Williams-Sonoma carried it to test it out and it died on my third cook. I replaced it, and it happened again. Williams-Sonoma took it back again even though they no longer carried it. That might be the reason they stopped.

Since then I have learned that the major problem is when people use the Brown setting for browning or to reduce liquids with the unit uncovered, it blows the thermal fuse in the base. The fuse is almost inaccessible behind lots of screws and tricky to replace. None of the few appliance repair shops that are left will do it.

I know of quite a few people who have had the same problem. I suspect that there was a bad manufacturing run or two of bad fuses and I hope that you bought yours before that happened.

Being rather a pit bull in the tenacity area, I bought a refurbished one just for the heck of it, but you can bet that I'm not going to brown in it. I still gravitate to my stovetops by habit, although the set-it-forget-it feature can be very nice. Once you get a feel for your burner settings under the stovetop cooker, it only takes a nudge to keep the heat at the right level.

Rita

David, I had both the Presto and Mirro for many years and I still sort of miss the comforting hiss-hiss-hiss sound of the rocker weight. The New Generation pressure cookers are so quiet!

As soon as I saw that they made a stainless steel version of the old cookers, I upgraded from the aluminum. I didn't want to cook any tomato products in the old aluminum cooker.

Rita

Thanks Rita, your opinion is valued!

I'm not sure what I'm gonna do yet, but I am going to do one. Can't tell the wife yet, or at least until "after" it's already being used.

I can certainly understand the price thing. When I bought mine, the Kuhn had the heaviest bottom.

You have to be a little careful with cooking tomato products or starchy foods when bringing the cooker to high pressure over the commonly suggested high heat. They can scorch on the bottom of the pot, especially if the pot does not have a heavy bottom.

Three tricks to combat that problem:

1) Use a lower heat to bring the cooker up to high pressure.

2) Use a good heat diffuser that *more* than covers the diameter of the cooker, not one of the small types with 2 layers of metal with holes in them. The 11-inch Calphalon diffuser is a good one.

3) Always add the tomato products last, on top of all the other ingredients in the pot, and don't stir them in.

Rita

Edit: Added size for Calphalon diffuser. They also make a smaller one, too small.

Originally posted by Rita Y:
Jeff, how long have you had your Russell Hobbs?

A word of caution, if I may. I bought a Russell Hobbs digital PC when Williams-Sonoma carried it to test it out and it died on my third cook. I replaced it, and it happened again. Williams-Sonoma took it back again even though they no longer carried it. That might be the reason they stopped.

Since then I have learned that the major problem is when people use the Brown setting for browning or to reduce liquids with the unit uncovered, it blows the thermal fuse in the base. The fuse is almost inaccessible behind lots of screws and tricky to replace. None of the few appliance repair shops that are left will do it.

I know of quite a few people who have had the same problem. I suspect that there was a bad manufacturing run or two of bad fuses and I hope that you bought yours before that happened.

Being rather a pit bull in the tenacity area, I bought a refurbished one just for the heck of it, but you can bet that I'm not going to brown in it. I still gravitate to my stovetops by habit, although the set-it-forget-it feature can be very nice. Once you get a feel for your burner settings under the stovetop cooker, it only takes a nudge to keep the heat at the right level.

Rita

Rita: I too, have heard of some complaints from this unit. Thank you so much for letting me know about the browning feature. I never use it, that must be why mine is still working! I have only had it a year with maybe 8-10 cooks on it. I bought is b/c of the ease of use. I have heard too many horror stories from releasing the pressure from the convetional kind. Again, thanks for the warning!

Jeff, no need to be wary of releasing the pressure on the New Generation stovetop pressure cookers (the ones that do not have a jiggle/rocker weight on top). They have so many safety features it's impossible to blow their tops. The horror stories grow with each telling, but those who have had problems with them did not use the cookers correctly. Don't cook rhubarb in a pressure cooker and always make sure that you have 1 tablespoon of fat in a recipe that calls for 1/2 pound of dried beans (it cuts down on the foaming).

Craig, be sure to check your manual to see what the minimum liquid requirement is for your cookers. My Kuhns only require a minimum of 1/2 cup, another reason that I like them. Yours might have a 1 cup minimum, but it will be in the manual.

They probably mention doing a dry run using only water in the cooker. Good advice. It will help familiarize the cooker and the methods and won't waste any food until you're comfortable with the procedure.

Feel free to email me if I can help (see my profile),
Rita

I also own the Russell Hobbs electronic 8 qt oval model. Same as the Cook's Essential from QVC, Salton and Farberware. I've owned all of them, as I've now owned all four. I've had the same problem with them shorting out and going Ka-Put. I finally figured out the problem to solve this issue.

The removable insert which you clean, needs to be absolutely, 100% dry when you reinsert it after cleaning. I let mine air dry overnight if possible. If I don't have that kind of time, and am cooking for a client one dish after another, I make SURE - I dry it inside and out before putting the insert into the base.

I've had my Russell Hobbs (my fourth one) now for quite a few years with no problems and I always use the browning feature for everything except stock.

P.S. If you want a *really* pricey pressure cooker, check out the WMF PRESSURE COOKER that Williams-Sonoma carries. But you'd better be in shape to pick it up! That thing is gorgeous and is built like a battleship! And it's only 6.5 quarts.

WOW! Amazon now carries that and it looks NICE! Weight is over 7 lbs! I'd love to get my wife one for Christmas, but she wants something she can use for pressure canning too.... and that model is too small.

Back