Butts over Brisket

Robert W

TVWBB Fan
I have two butts total weight of 15 lbs (pre-trimmed). I also have a 12 lb brisket. I will be doing the butts over brisket. My plan is to start at 6PM tonight and cook at 220-250 all night. I estimate removing the brisket at about 6-7 AM and the butts at about noon. Does this sound right? Or should I start the butts earlier?

Bob W

I would bet they will all be done at about the same time, remember you are not cooking 1 butt @ 15 lbs you are cooking 2 butts totaling 15 lbs, if you use the 1 1/2 - 2 hours /lb then an 8 lb butt will be done in 12 - 16 hours and a 7 lb butt in 10 1/2 - 14 hours.

These times are a guide not an exact time they need to be taken off, I would start checking the internal temperature after the 11 hour mark, and take them off when they reach 185°F if slicing and 200°F if pulling.

Every BoB cook I've had has had 12-13 hours for the brisket and 18 or so hours for the butts. I'm thinking your plan is right on for a 220-250 lid temp cook. However, I have had several butts approach the 20 hour mark, but I usually plan for 18.

Thanks for the replies. Everything went on 10 minutes ago. I'll contiune to monitor the temps throughout the night. Looking forward to a great day tomorrow. Good food and a Bears victory!

Bob W

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Robert W:
Good food and a Bears victory!

Bob W </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well one out of two ain't bad!
icon_biggrin.gif

Took the brisket off an hour ago (internal temp of 193) and have it double wrapped in a cooler. The butts are still on and show an internal temp of 181. So far, everything is according to plan.

GO BEARS!

Back