butcher paper versus foil

Some say that the meat picks up an aftertaste from the foil. I use it alot and have never noticed. Butcher paper is probably cheaper than foil, too.

i personally do not see any advantage to using butcher paper. i have tried it on two seperate occasions after reading about it on this forum, and i didn't care for it. i definitely prefer using foil.
that's my .02 worth.

I've been cooking much more stress free lately so I don't use either. In fact, I rarely mop, spritz, flip, rotate, or futz with BBQ at all anymore. In business case jargon, I simply don't get a return investment equal to or greater than the effort. I just put a simple rub on and let it go. The cooker does the rest.

I foil ribs and Boston Butt. I get NO aftertaste of aluminum. The results are not only good but predictable. That is important, also.

Everything is a trade off. I get decent bark with foiling but also get tender results and capture the juices to enhance the product and the juices make a great additive for your home made sauce. I DO remove the fat with a separator...

Dale53

I always foil, butts and brisket. I like to push through the stall though. I also think ribs benefit from being steamed in foil for an hour or 2. never tried butcher paper...it seems like its used just as a layer of protection.

I like the bark better when I don't foil a brisket. I like the juiciness of the meat better when I do foil. I'm hoping that butcher paper is a compromise. The Aaron Franklin video prompted me to get some butcher paper. I'm going to try it with a brisket flat on Sunday. I'll post my results.

I like the bark better when I don't foil a brisket. I like the juiciness of the meat better when I do foil. I'm hoping that butcher paper is a compromise. The Aaron Franklin video prompted me to get some butcher paper. I'm going to try it with a brisket flat on Sunday. I'll post my results.

I wasn't too impressed with the moisture retention when I tried it with back ribs a while back, but I'm with you on your thinking and look forward to trying it for butts or briskets sometime.

Butcher paper only works if you fold it exactly like Aaron Franklin does in his video. Oherwise, it's of no added value :D :D

I have done a few dozen briskets with foil and paper. My go to method now is wrap in butcher paper after I have a good bark on the outside (I dont pay attention to the internal temp). Once the brisket is done smoking--or almost done--I take it off wrap foil around the paper and set it in a cooler wrapped with a towel. This is IMO the best paper/foil combo that I have found to work. The paper keeps the bark firmer and allows a tiny bit of smoke to still get on the brisket but then wrapping in foil to rest gives the brisket the steamy-ness that most foil lovers like and also pools the juices a lot better than just paper. But to each his own. I think paper/foil/nothing is just like the fat up or fat down convo. If you know how to cook a brisket you can do either and itll turn out great. I have used this method the past dozen briskets and have kinda got it down so I would say do what you think is best and stick to it.

The only time we use butcher paper is when we part out "bulk purchases" of country style pork spare ribs, ground chuck or steaks, etc. Foil is only used to speed up tenderizing, or to "rest" smoked meat after coming off the WSM. When we use butcher paper to "part out" bulk purchases, we use plastic wrap (Saran Wrap, etc) between the meat and the butcher paper - we don't use a "Food Saver"....

Does the Butcher paper serve the same purpose as the foil? Does the Butcher paper increase the temperature inside, and help cook faster? Or does it merely protect it from more smoke? Does the Butcher paper take off any of the time?

If it can keep better bark, while still helping to retain moisture and speed up the cook somewhat, then this sounds great. Maybe I am hoping for too much, though?

I'm a butcher paper convert from foil. Anyone trying to overstate it is looking into things too much.

It helps power through the stall by preventing the retaining the moisture from the meat. It also doesn't soften the texture of the bark like foil does.

When having the butcher paper vs foil debate, you just need to ask yourself... Is the soft texture worth the decrease in time with foil, or is the good bark with a longer time with butcher paper more valuable. Both methods are better than not wrapping IMO.

I'm a butcher paper convert from foil. Anyone trying to overstate it is looking into things too much.

It helps power through the stall by preventing the retaining the moisture from the meat. It also doesn't soften the texture of the bark like foil does.

When having the butcher paper vs foil debate, you just need to ask yourself... Is the soft texture worth the decrease in time with foil, or is the good bark with a longer time with butcher paper more valuable. Both methods are better than not wrapping IMO.

So it helps with the time, but not as significantly as foil?

So it helps with the time, but not as significantly as foil?

Yes... You nailed it. By the same token, I used to try to firm up my bark after foiling. I wish I kept a log of that time I spent doing that vs the time savings from foil over bp

I bp my briskets, and foil my ribs and butts.

Back