Butcher paper size

Rick P

TVWBB Pro
With the exception of brisket, ham, and when the Mrs. requests 3-2-1 ribs.

That being said, I have a 12lb prime packer that I'm dying to put on the WSM, and I'm going to try the butcher paper to wrap and serve.

I've read good things about the pink butcher paper. That being said....for those of you who do wrap...what size do you recommend, width-wise? 18"? 24"?

Please note that this isn't a "wrap vs no wrap" thread. ;)

Franklin uses 18 inch so if you were wanting to perfectly emulate his method for brisket I'd buy that. He does overlap two pieces. The overlap is about the length of the brisket. I bought the 24. I still overlap it the same way he does. I use the butcher paper for all kinds of stuff though. With the 24 you don't have to do the overlap. For ribs I don't think it would matter as much. It's seems like 24 inch might be easier. I know this is kind of a non-answer.

I use 24" and it eliminates the need to overlap two pieces in most cases. I'm not sure about now, but in the past 18" and even 15" pink butcher paper have been the least expensive choices, which I think leads BBQ joints to choosing these over 24". But at home, I use so little of it that I might as well splurge on 24". I'm still using my first roll and I'm sure I'll go to my grave leaving much of it behind for my heirs. ⚰️ :D

I found a roll somewhere recently and a quick look guessing 20", never have used paper before but maybe next weekend. foil yes and the 24" heavy duty rolls are my pick, would have gotten 24" if given a choice. having some of any size seems to be preferable to foil so testing will be started soon lol

I have used various sizes but recently I got some 36x36 sheets that are great for big briskets and shoulders!

I'd go with the 24" wide roll... check out Kosmo's advice on wrapping brisket with butcher paper and plastic wrap. Skip to 11 minutes 30 seconds if you just wanna see him wrap. I recommend watching 11:30 to the end because the resting technique he uses is also a winner.

Back