Butcher paper and ribs

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Probably been covered before but an oldie here wondering about butcher paper and ribs. Been smoking for 20 years with at least 10 years on the competition circuit. In Ace Hardware the other day picked up a roll of pink butcher paper. Never used before. I know it has been used for brisket and pork butt but never seen it for ribs. Doing two St Louis's tomorrow and just wondering if butcher wrap could be used. I have been on both sides of wrapping with foil or just let er go and have had great results either way. Time to teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks - Dan

I just got my first roll of butcher paper too. I plan to try it for Brisket, Pork Butt and ribs to compare to aluminum foil wrap. As I understand it the bark should hold up better. Another old dog.

Probably been covered before but an oldie here wondering about butcher paper and ribs. Been smoking for 20 years with at least 10 years on the competition circuit. In Ace Hardware the other day picked up a roll of pink butcher paper. Never used before. I know it has been used for brisket and pork butt but never seen it for ribs. Doing two St Louis's tomorrow and just wondering if butcher wrap could be used. I have been on both sides of wrapping with foil or just let er go and have had great results either way. Time to teach an old dog new tricks.

Thanks - Dan
Dan, yes butcher paper will work for ribs just fine. In fact in my opinion works better than aluminum foil.

I've used paper on brisket with good results, but never tried it on ribs. Not sure why.

Definitely will experiment with paper and ribs next time.

Dan, Here is a link to a question I posted a few months back on the topic

I find it won't speed up a cook like foil but it can preserve your color. I'd spritz the paper a little and wrap them as tight as possible.

Results are in. Two racks of St Louis. One no wrap but apple juice sprits the whole time and the second was butcher paper wrapped after 3 1/2 hours. Did spray on apple juice before wrapping. After 5 hours they both looked ready to eat. The color on the wrapped may have been a little darker but both looked great. Time for my sauce after 6 hours (Blues Hog reduced with apple juice. Do not like a heavy sauce). They both tasted great. The wrapped was more fall off the bone but the unwrapped was competition quality (if you know what I mean about the bite). Not sure I will do the butcher wrap on the ribs again unless I need fall off ribs. Hope this info helps.

Results are in. Two racks of St Louis. One no wrap but apple juice sprits the whole time and the second was butcher paper wrapped after 3 1/2 hours. Did spray on apple juice before wrapping. After 5 hours they both looked ready to eat. The color on the wrapped may have been a little darker but both looked great. Time for my sauce after 6 hours (Blues Hog reduced with apple juice. Do not like a heavy sauce). They both tasted great. The wrapped was more fall off the bone but the unwrapped was competition quality (if you know what I mean about the bite). Not sure I will do the butcher wrap on the ribs again unless I need fall off ribs. Hope this info helps.
It helps me. My wife likes fall off the bone.

With butcher paper, or aluminum foil for that matter, if you watch your time and check for doneness more often you can get that bite you are looking for. I too like a little bite on my ribs as opposed to fall off the bone.

Same in my house Lew if they are not falling off the bone then I have to eat way more ribs then I want to. :) Tough crowd my wife and 2 daughters no St Louis either they want Back Ribs.
I'm going to try the butcher paper on Sunday. Wife wants St. Louis cut ribs so I can't pass up the opportunity. I'm lucky. She likes Back, St; Louis cut, and full spares.

Dan, Here is a link to a question I posted a few months back on the topic

Dennis I remember that thread as for ribs have always used foil kind of intrigued by the paper but I use a Harry Soo method so when wrapping mine I use brown sugar, honey guave and regular honey and use the V8 mango juice so the paper won't work or I assume it won't work unless your strictly going dry and I did see where Dustin who also used brown sugar was not happy with the results using the paper.

Like Lynn really don't care much about bark on ribs.

As I stated though my family prefers fall of the bone and I can achieve that pretty easily at 275 in about 5 hours maybe 15 minutes. I wrap at about 2 hrs 10 minutes which I used strictly a dry rub spritzed after an hour every 15 minutes with fake butter and water then wrap with all the stuff listed and put it back on for 3 hours then I open and I see if I got to where I needed to be fall off the bone wise. Then I get the boss to approve them before they get pulled :) I never rest my ribs in a cooler its my wife's job to make sure the sides are ready when I pull them sauce is always on the side not a big sauce guy myself usually warm up some Sweet Baby Rays and put them in a side bowl so people can do what they want with the sauce.

Personally ribs can be done a hundred different ways all that matters is did you your friends and family enjoy them? Lew is lucky his wife likes all cuts used to do St Louis not all the time and the family was kinda happy with them but then got a lousy cut at Costco which never happens or rarely they kind of fessed up they really prefered the Back Ribs so that is all I do now.

Back