Burn in on New SmokeFire. Grill Lies? Not a great start

Joe Anshien

TVWBB Platinum Member
So I got a deal on a brand new Smokefire EX4 that a private individual was selling. I was tossed between flipping and using as I just got a WSM18 and never even occurred to me to get a Smokefire.
I decided that I may as well use it before selling as it will not make much difference in resale as long as it is clean.
I am in the process of doing the burn in for over the last 2 hours as this grill lies like a thief.
I start the burn in well after a few minutes going, it decided it wanted another software update so it commands me to shut it down. Another 15 minutes to shut down and then another 5 to upgrade and start all over.
I set it for 600 and smoke starts billowing out and life seems good. I get the alert that it hit the target of 600 degrees and set a 40 minute timer. I go out and check on it after about 20 minutes. Well gee it doesn't seem to be 600, as 600 is quite hot and I can touch the grill without getting burnt. I open it up and can even touch the grates. I get out my thermometer and it is only about 130 degrees. Check the pictures. I took out the burn chamber cover and not much in there and the auger is turning but non are falling. I check the hopper and it is ok. I turn it off - Another 15 minutes to shut down. It stores the shutdown in memory in case I think I know better than it does, and want to power off to bypass the 15 minute shutdown. I remove all the pellets and find it really does not seem to be feeding the auger. I smush some pellets in the auger hole, refill the hopper and start all over. Now it seems to be really at 600!
Why does there seem to be so much ash outside the grill?
Did I mention how loud this grill is! That fan is loud!
Not a great beginning to a relationship.
20210411_170806.jpg20210411_171042.jpg
20210411_181146.jpg

The flying ash eases up over time and the walls get gunked up. The grill takes some learning but it flat out cooks. If you're thinking about flipping it and it hasn't been registered with Weber that would give you a good sales pitch. Welcome to the never boring world of the SmokeFire.

Joe,
I think Lew said it really well. I haven't used a SmokeFire yet, but everything I have seen shows that when it is in a good mood it can really deliver. The downside of its outside of the box design is that it can be temperamental. I would have been strongly tempted to jump on that deal you got, expecting some of the rocky start just like you are having. Seems to be the way it is, but hopefully if you stick it out and get used to it (and maybe it gets used to you :oops: ), I think you will get some wonderful cooks. But, if I had a big meal at stake, with no plan B, I would stay with my rock solid, reliable Recteq RT-700.

The flying ash eases up over time and the walls get gunked up. The grill takes some learning but it flat out cooks. If you're thinking about flipping it and it hasn't been registered with Weber that would give you a good sales pitch. Welcome to the never boring world of the SmokeFire.
I think I had another flareout. After finally really hitting 600 I set the timer for 40 minutes. and when the timer went off I checked and the dam temperature had dropped to 375! I took it apart to see what was going on and recorded a short video and still picture of the burn pot with no flame filling up with pellets. ***? Check out the shots below. Any advice on this? I wanted to do a cook but feel I would have to watch this non-stop and maybe finish up on another cooker if it goes bananas. Have you gone through this? Is there a fix? I don't even feel good about selling it honestly. Also why is the back of the ash pan so badly discolored after a burn in. The picture is after me scrubbing it for 10 minutes.

20210411_190345.jpg20210411_202019.jpg

That's pretty disappointing, Joe. I am going to have to let the SmokeFire experts here weigh in. If you call Weber they will probably tell you to use Weber pellets, but there should be nothing wrong with the Pit Boss ones that you are using. Maybe a faulty glow plug?

Joe,
I think Lew said it really well. I haven't used a SmokeFire yet, but everything I have seen shows that when it is in a good mood it can really deliver. The downside of its outside of the box design is that it can be temperamental. I would have been strongly tempted to jump on that deal you got, expecting some of the rocky start just like you are having. Seems to be the way it is, but hopefully if you stick it out and get used to it (and maybe it gets used to you :oops: ), I think you will get some wonderful cooks. But, if I had a big meal at stake, with no plan B, I would stay with my rock solid, reliable Recteq RT-700.
And me with my Traeger:) Too many ?'s

OK Joe, after everything stops and the power is off. Turn it on. Go on the controller panel and the top button is the menu. Push it. Turn the dial to select "factory reset". Pres the dial in. It will give you a choice. Select save settings. That will keep your wifi connection. Follow the directions on the screen. It will reset, empty cache, and reset your controller to factory settings. I don't remember if it shuts down but if it does that only takes a minute because it hasn't been running. Make sure your fire pot is clear of pellets and you have pellets in the hopper. It eats about 2lb/hr. at 600°. Start it up with a set temp of 600. Start with the lid open and close the lid when you see smoke. Stay with it and watch and listen. When the pit reads 90° or 95 the fan should shift into high. It has been cycling up to that point. With set temp at 305 or higher 90 is the point where it kicks into gear. Listen for pellets dropping and the temp should climb steadily to over 500 and then slow down a tad. Within 20 70 28 minutes it should be at 600. Stay with it for awhile after it reaches 600. If that fan starts dropping into low speed then something is definitely wrong with the controller. I don't expect that to happen. Also, a Bruno said make sure your app is the current version. When you reset it should load the latest version of software and firmware for the controller. Software version 2783 and firmware version 04054. You can see those on the app on on the controller menu. Good luck.

You need to double check everything that was assembled.
I know I recommended not buying if it didn’t have warranty or the black welded auger.
As for the ash pan that is nothing. When this beast gets to 600 it’s a roaring flame.
Makes sure you have the latest app and firmware and all that stuff.
I’ve only used Weber pellets so you’ve left a variable I can’t comment on.
good luck.
I
Within 20 70 28 minutes it should be at 600
I will be away most of tomorrow but I will try your directions as soon as I can. Did you mean within 20 to 28 minutes it should be at 600? I will check on fan sound as that was noticeable. That fan was screaming, but this time I will follow your directions and see what happens. This is just a guess from my observations, but it seems that at about 30 minutes after it hit 600 degree the pellets stopped flowing, the fire went out, then a few minutes after the fire went out the pellets started flowing again, but the grill is not smart enough to restart the fire, and pellets just keep feeding until I shut it down. That was the second time. The first time I guess I caught it after the fire went out and the pellets were still not feeding until after I emptied the hopper and used my hand to feed them in the bottom and refilled it again.
The first time was with a 5lb bag of Kingsford pellets (it did not fill the whole hopper), the second time I filled the hopper with the Pit Boss pellets.

I haven't used the timer function so i cannot speak to that. I wonder what mine would do under similar circumstances. What I do know is that mine reaches 600 from Smokeboost mode in 7-10 minutes and that I've only run it at 600 for about 10 minute sprints for searing. The burn in procedure is a prescribed temperature (450?) for 45 mins to an hour iirc. I did not do a 2 hour burn in as you have described. Hopefully you sort it out because it's a great pit. Did yours come with extra Glow Plugs? I would be willing to bet that the glow plug is not installed quite right. I seem to remember some particular parts of the assembly instructions in regard to that area of the fire box. Worth a disassembly / reassembly to ensure proper fit and function imho

Last edited:
I will be away most of tomorrow but I will try your directions as soon as I can. Did you mean within 20 to 28 minutes it should be at 600? I will check on fan sound as that was noticeable. That fan was screaming, but this time I will follow your directions and see what happens. This is just a guess from my observations, but it seems that at about 30 minutes after it hit 600 degree the pellets stopped flowing, the fire went out, then a few minutes after the fire went out the pellets started flowing again, but the grill is not smart enough to restart the fire, and pellets just keep feeding until I shut it down. That was the second time. The first time I guess I caught it after the fire went out and the pellets were still not feeding until after I emptied the hopper and used my hand to feed them in the bottom and refilled it again.
The first time was with a 5lb bag of Kingsford pellets (it did not fill the whole hopper), the second time I filled the hopper with the Pit Boss pellets.
Yes, start to 600 takes about that much time. What I saw on my grill was it running at high temp and the fan speed dropped to low, cycling, and the fire started cooling down. Pellets were feeding intermittently but the fan wasn’t maintaining the fire.

I apologize for my piecemeal answer but I keep remembering stuff and Chris R's post reminded me that you have the EX4.

I looked at your fire pot and pellet slide in your video. Both look correctly installed. Did you remove the finger guard inside the pellet hopper? If not that can possibly create a void in the pellets and they stop feeding. It's 3 screws and then replace the screws. Also, my experience is with the EX6 and startup times will be less with the EX4. edit - The manual says perform the burnout at 600° F for 30 to 40 minutes.

Last edited:
As Lew mentioned the finger guard design in the SmokeFire is ignorant. Being right at the opening to the auger it tends to bridge pellets, blocking them up for a while, then when you open the hopper lid, grill lid, or just enough vibration comes from the auger continuing to turn looking for pellets, they fall. I had this happen a couple times before I removed the guard. Once the guard was removed, the problem went away. The problem is the fire can go out before the bridge collapses.

Other pellets generally will work, but I had the best luck with Weber pellets. They are a smaller diameter than some other brands. The issues I had with other brands were more temperature issues in the mid-ranges (like 300-400 degrees). However, those issues were around the same time the fall update came out that seemed to introduce more annoyances than performance improvements. The fan on the SmokeFire is obnoxiously noisy. Much noisier than all the other (several) pellet grills I've owned. I could clearly hear it inside the house and don't recall ever hearing the fan on any of my others unless I was outside by it. I always assumed that it must run at much higher RPMS than other grills.

My advice, even though I've given up on two SmokeFires now, would be to buy a couple bags of Weber pellets, remove the finger guard, make sure you are completely up to date on Software and Firmware versions, then try it again. When Weber nails the Firmware (which could be the version that was just released), the SmokeFire is going to be pretty hard to beat in the price range it's in. It smokes well and truly grills like nothing else in the pellet grill world at this time. The reason I gave up on mine was due to the length of time it's taking for Weber to get it running consistently at it's full potential. Also to note, startup times have changed from update to update as well as being affected by weather conditions. Outside of the finger guard, about the only other non software/firmware issue I noticed with the SmokeFire was the effect of wind blowing into the rear of the grill. If there's anything more than a gentle breeze blowing at the back of the grill, it may never get to temp. I had times I didn't pay attention to the wind direction when starting up the grill and after the grill wasn't at temp in 30 minutes or so, went outside, turned the grill 90 degrees and immediately shot up to temp.

Well, Either I jinxed myself or the New "Enhanced" Smokeboost mode (Software Update) doesn't like being engaged immediately upon initial fire up. This is my 6th or so cook and Got this fault within a few minutes of startup. Only Variables are 1. I didnt "Dust" the inside after last / before this cook. or 2. The software update. Eating Crow here based upon my prior assertions but these pics tell the story. Weird but I'm taking it in stride. Simple clean up ( About a cup of wasted pellets) and Running strong now (For now) **Also quite windy although warmest day yet this spring here in the PNW at 65 degrees today**

I just ran it up to 200 and have now turn on smokeboost so we'll see what happens

Attachments

• SF.FlameOut.jpg
    SF.FlameOut.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 18
  • SF.Flameout.FireboxFull.jpg
    SF.Flameout.FireboxFull.jpg
    310.8 KB · Views: 17
  • SF.Flameout.PileofPellets.jpg
    SF.Flameout.PileofPellets.jpg
    333.2 KB · Views: 17
As Lew mentioned the finger guard design in the SmokeFire is ignorant. Being right at the opening to the auger it tends to bridge pellets, blocking them up for a while, then when you open the hopper lid, grill lid, or just enough vibration comes from the auger continuing to turn looking for pellets, they fall. I had this happen a couple times before I removed the guard. Once the guard was removed, the problem went away. The problem is the fire can go out before the bridge collapses.

Other pellets generally will work, but I had the best luck with Weber pellets. They are a smaller diameter than some other brands. The issues I had with other brands were more temperature issues in the mid-ranges (like 300-400 degrees). However, those issues were around the same time the fall update came out that seemed to introduce more annoyances than performance improvements. The fan on the SmokeFire is obnoxiously noisy. Much noisier than all the other (several) pellet grills I've owned. I could clearly hear it inside the house and don't recall ever hearing the fan on any of my others unless I was outside by it. I always assumed that it must run at much higher RPMS than other grills.

My advice, even though I've given up on two SmokeFires now, would be to buy a couple bags of Weber pellets, remove the finger guard, make sure you are completely up to date on Software and Firmware versions, then try it again. When Weber nails the Firmware (which could be the version that was just released), the SmokeFire is going to be pretty hard to beat in the price range it's in. It smokes well and truly grills like nothing else in the pellet grill world at this time. The reason I gave up on mine was due to the length of time it's taking for Weber to get it running consistently at it's full potential. Also to note, startup times have changed from update to update as well as being affected by weather conditions. Outside of the finger guard, about the only other non software/firmware issue I noticed with the SmokeFire was the effect of wind blowing into the rear of the grill. If there's anything more than a gentle breeze blowing at the back of the grill, it may never get to temp. I had times I didn't pay attention to the wind direction when starting up the grill and after the grill wasn't at temp in 30 minutes or so, went outside, turned the grill 90 degrees and immediately shot up to temp.
Thanks for the info. Tomorrow the finger guards get removed and I make sure it is updated, reset and try 600 for 40 minutes. When you say you gave up on 2 Smokefires do you mean you returned them or sold them? I would like a much quieter fan. That thing sounds like a server in my old computer rooms.

Well, Either I jinxed myself or the New "Enhanced" Smokeboost mode (Software Update) doesn't like being engaged immediately upon initial fire up. This is my 6th or so cook and Got this fault within a few minutes of startup. Only Variables are 1. I didnt "Dust" the inside after last / before this cook. or 2. The software update. Eating Crow here based upon my prior assertions but these pics tell the story. Weird but I'm taking it in stride. Simple clean up ( About a cup of wasted pellets) and Running strong now (For now) **Also quite windy although warmest day yet this spring here in the PNW at 65 degrees today**

I just ran it up to 200 and have now turn on smokeboost so we'll see what happens
That seems to be what happened to me without the error. How do you remove all those pellets? I used a table spoon. Is there an easier way?

That seems to be what happened to me without the error. How do you remove all those pellets? I used a table spoon. Is there an easier way?
I just cleaned them out with my fingers and them swept them through the slots in the bottom where they fell into the foil pan underneath. The pics indicate as far as iIwent before starting it up again. Everything went fine afterwards. Ran it to 200. Set smokeboost to ON for about 45 minutes. Ran it from Smokeboost up to 450 and cooked the Chicken thighs to done. Powered down and noticed some of the super hot ashes had started burning the residual pellets in the foil pan so I removed the foil pan and its smoldering in my firepit. Was time to change it out anyway.

7 days of Spring Sunshine here is rare so I'll be grilling every night this week. I'll remember to clean before the cooks to see if that changes anything. a little bit of ash shouldn't have a big effect so tonight I skipped that step.

I really do love this thing. Just learning the ins and outs.

I just cleaned them out with my fingers and them swept them through the slots in the bottom where they fell into the foil pan underneath. The pics indicate as far as iIwent before starting it up again. Everything went fine afterwards. Ran it to 200. Set smokeboost to ON for about 45 minutes. Ran it from Smokeboost up to 450 and cooked the Chicken thighs to done. Powered down and noticed some of the super hot ashes had started burning the residual pellets in the foil pan so I removed the foil pan and its smoldering in my firepit. Was time to change it our anyway.

I really do love this thing. Just learning the ins and outs.
Is 450 a little hot for chicken? I like the idea of the 2 stages of cooking though, and will have to try that when I get it working ok. I usually do 375 or so. I notice you have 2 kettles and 3 WSMs - Will the smokefire replace any of them or just an additional toy?

Thanks for the info. Tomorrow the finger guards get removed and I make sure it is updated, reset and try 600 for 40 minutes. When you say you gave up on 2 Smokefires do you mean you returned them or sold them? I would like a much quieter fan. That thing sounds like a server in my old computer rooms.
Unfortunately, I did return them both. First to Lowe’s in March before they changed their stance on drip pans and released the hardware updates to hopper and auger. I had the flameouts like you and issues getting to high temps after a while. I bought again over 4th of July sale after the infamous letter from the CEO. I loved my 2nd SmokeFire and ran hundreds of pounds of pellets through it cooking amazing food until the fall firmware update removed considerable joy from cooking with it. I ran into about every quirk the update introduced and wasted well over 100 lbs of pellets just burning empty test runs trying to figure out what to expect in different scenarios before finally getting frustrated and giving up again and asking Weber to take it back. I waited 3 months plus for a follow-up patch to arrive. I still think Weber will get it in the end, this was just supposed the be my gasser replacement and everyday easy grill, so I didn’t feel like waiting longer.

If you flame out, you don’t have to worry about every last pellet being clear. If you flick 95% out and i to the drip pan below and have a few stuck in the pot you’ll be fine, just don’t want more than a very small amount in the fire pot when it starts up.

Unfortunately, I did return them both. First to Lowe’s in March before they changed their stance on drip pans and released the hardware updates to hopper and auger. I had the flameouts like you and issues getting to high temps after a while. I bought again over 4th of July sale after the infamous letter from the CEO. I loved my 2nd SmokeFire and ran hundreds of pounds of pellets through it cooking amazing food until the fall firmware update removed considerable joy from cooking with it. I ran into about every quirk the update introduced and wasted well over 100 lbs of pellets just burning empty test runs trying to figure out what to expect in different scenarios before finally getting frustrated and giving up again and asking Weber to take it back. I waited 3 months plus for a follow-up patch to arrive. I still think Weber will get it in the end, this was just supposed the be my gasser replacement and everyday easy grill, so I didn’t feel like waiting longer.

If you flame out, you don’t have to worry about every last pellet being clear. If you flick 95% out and i to the drip pan below and have a few stuck in the pot you’ll be fine, just don’t want more than a very small amount in the fire pot when it starts up.
That is a very interesting relationship with a grill. If I had your experience I would not have as positive outlook as yourself. It is funny, but even though I am a gadget guy, I like things that simplify my life and work as expected. As I get older I was hoping to reduce the amount of toys. There seems to be a lot of things with a Smokefire that can go wrong, and which the end user has no control over, such as firmware. I will give it more time and tests but I do get frustrated and don't have the option of returning it. I don't think I would even sell it if I can't get it to work. That means that I would have to register it with Weber, and work with them to get it to work, then sell it cheap, because no transferable warranty. I doubt it would come to that, as there are many people out there like you and Lew that are unwavering fans of this grill, even though you have put up with so much and are so helpful. I am starting to wonder if you guys are that impressed with the food it puts out when it works, just masochists, or a combination.

Is 450 a little hot for chicken? I like the idea of the 2 stages of cooking though, and will have to try that when I get it working ok. I usually do 375 or so. I notice you have 2 kettles and 3 WSMs - Will the smokefire replace any of them or just an additional toy?
The chicken thighs were marinated and I did them in a foil pan to avoid any mess inside the pit so 450 worked fine for me. Ultimately I might let the 2 Kettles go but I like the portability of my WSM's and take up less space anyhow so I will likely keep them. The smoke fire is somewhat of a toy to me but one that helps create great tasting food with less babysitting than my WSM's.

Back