Burger Question

Keith S

Hello, everyone! New to the forum, so please forgive me if I am not posting this in the right place.

I finally bought my first Weber kettle. I am excited to learn how to use it. I am hoping to cook some burgers on it using the reverse sear method.

My question is rather basic, but when cooking the burgers indirectly at first, how many times would you recommend flipping them, if at all, during the indirect stage? Or should I just do the flips during the searing at the end? My concern is ending up with overcooked patties.

Thanks!

Not sure why reverse sear would be used on burgers. Never done it. So honestly all I could do is say when one side looks right flip

I have a hard time with the reverse sear so I've only tried it a couple times for burgs or steaks, I always end up over cooking. I find that the coals have ashed over by the time the indirect is done making them cooler and harder to sear over by the time the indirect is done. In general for indirect I flip or turn once just to try and keep things even, more for the edge of the food away from the coals then the down side.

I would set it up with a dead spot where no charcoal is in a area, cook burgers over the coals and move to the dead spot as they get close to being done or if you have a flareup, you wont have flareups if the lid is down, sometimes its a race to flip them all before the flareups start lol.

I reverse sear all the time with burgers. We prefer ground chuck, and it really helps reduce flare ups from all the grease.
I flip once with the charcoal baskets to the sides, then flip and pull the baskets under the burgers, then flip once again.
But hey, have fun experimenting!

Thanks for the info, everyone! This will be my first time using a charcoal grill (lifelong gasser), so I can't wait to try it out.

Reverse sear works best with thick steaks. So I'd reckon that the burger patty should be thick as well -- 3/4" or more. Mike's baskets-on-one-side setup would be best. Start the burgers as far from the fire as possible until they measured at about 115°- 120°. I wouldn't flip them while they're on the cool side, but I'd flip the patties when putting them directly over the coals for a minute or so, then flip them again and finish them on the 2nd side for 30-45 seconds.

Thinner burgers (1/2"-ish) will get a nice crust in 2-3 minutes per side over a hot fire. Flip once and you're done.

Have fun -- Jeff

If you're reverse searing you should just be flipping during the searing portion.

I like to reverse sear for burgers, but I like to reverse sear pretty much everything. That said, when I do the burgers, I do a final indirect portion to melt the cheese. So cook indirect until 110 IT -> sear direct flipping every 30-45 seconds until 125 IT -> slap the cheese on and cook indirect with grill covered until 135 IT.

Thanks for the info, everyone! This will be my first time using a charcoal grill (lifelong gasser), so I can't wait to try it out.
Keith, there will be a learning curve if this is your first charcoal grill. The Weber kettle is a great classic design that's very versatile for all sorts of cooking. Be patient. And we're always here to help. --Jeff

Keith, there will be a learning curve if this is your first charcoal grill. The Weber kettle is a great classic design that's very versatile for all sorts of cooking. Be patient. And we're always here to help. --Jeff
Thank you! I appreciate it. This seems to be a great forum.

Back