Burger Quest #2: Michael, IronChef, Symon.....Fat Doug Burger & fresh baked buns

David

TVWBB Pro
Burger Quest #2: Michael "IronChef" Symon.....Fat Doug Burger & fresh baked buns

In my continuing quest for the best burger recipes, this week I cooked Michael Symon's burger dubbed the "Fat Doug Burger", what the name means is a mystery. I have seen numerous claims of it being a great burger etc. etc......Bascially it is a burger topped with pastrami, topped with Swiss cheese and his recipe for cole slaw with a sauce he calls ShaSha.

In addition, not part of Symon's recipe, I made fresh Brioche Burger buns rather than store bought buns, as also wanted to enhance the burger quest since homemade bread is always so so good. They were quite good coming out of the oven with just with a little butter, well maybe a lot of butter.

The day before I made the cole slaw, as I know from experience, that it is always better the day after it is made. The slaw has a bit of a kick to it from the shasha sauce. I also made a nice batch of my potato salad the previous day, for the same reason.

First pic is of the burger buns fresh out the oven. Being a home baked bun they are not perfectly round.

dougburger003_zps68dd32d8.jpg
[/IMG]

Since I did these on charcoal I had to start a chimney, so over to the gasser to use the side burner fire them up.

dougburger007_zps77a0a87b.jpg
[/IMG]

Everything is all set up waiting for the coals to finish firing up....

dougburger011_zps555d0787.jpg
[/IMG]

While waiting, sitting back, enjoying an after 5 beverage as the setting sun glows over the hedges.

dougburger012_zps3bfd1b4d.jpg
[/IMG]

After the burgers has been seared and cooked direct and indirect the pastrami is put on top to warm waiting for the Swiss cheese cover.

dougburger015_zps60c17f23.jpg
[/IMG]

Next the Swiss is put on for the melt. I only did three burgers with the pastrami and Swiss topping since it was a first time cook. The one's not eaten go into the fridge for later "warm-ups".

dougburger017_zpsc30c3cb6.jpg
[/IMG]

The burgers buns are buttered and put on for a toast......the wife doesn't eat a bun so it was just one of the son's came over to eat on a nice Sunday night. One burger still on, not quite done, and corn still grilling.

dougburger018_zpsaf514a6c.jpg
[/IMG]

Plated up with cole slaw added on top of pastrami and Swiss cheese.

dougburger023_zpscd03ed9d.jpg
[/IMG]

Review of Fat Doug's Burger. I will come down on the side that did not find this to be a great burger by a long shot, in fact, I would place it in my bottom list, never to be repeated. I do like cole slaw, by itself, on a pulled pork sandwich, love it on hot dogs, and did not find it good on a burger. The pastrami actually took away from the flavor of the burger rather than adding to it as bacon does. The Swiss cheese was overpowered by the other flavors and might as well not been on the burger. So, for me, a burger that I don't consider to have been worth the effort. I also found that the unique flavors, and I might add, not altogether a good thing, also overpowered the fresh burger buns.. To tell the truth, the best thing on the plate was my potato salad............................d

Last edited:
Man nice burgers...nice view ,....weather looks perfect!! Gotta ask what's a "after 5 beverage?" Is that different then a after noon or(after 9am for me today)?

Burgers look super!!

I was thinking that the pastrami was going to over power the burger. What type of grind are you using ie 80/20?

Man, you score an A for determination David. Love those buns too! Can't wait for the next cook.

Great post. Nice pictures. The burgers do look very tasty. (And everything else does too) But for me , the fresh home made brioche bun is the star here. The burger on that bun with some nice melted cheddar or American? Killer.

Man nice burgers...nice view ,....weather looks perfect!! Gotta ask what's a "after 5 beverage?" Is that different then a after noon or(after 9am for me today)?

Burgers look super!!

Your views are much better.......as for after 5, Bloody's before noon, beer anytime after noon, and bourbon after five, but sometimes I put myself in any time zone I wish.

I was thinking that the pastrami was going to over power the burger. What type of grind are you using ie 80/20?

Usually do my own, and in the 70-80%. When I buy the local store has a 73-27 that I get.................d

Great post. Nice pictures. The burgers do look very tasty. (And everything else does too) But for me , the fresh home made brioche bun is the star here. The burger on that bun with some nice melted cheddar or American? Killer.

Yes, but I want to work on the buns and try them on my "regular" burger, plain ole cheese, mayo, mustard, onion and pickle.............d

Back