Burger grease and charcoal

Jim McKelvey

TVWBB All-Star
Hey folks, quick question. I've been a gas user for many years and just now getting backing into charcoal cooking the last year or two. Noticed a couple of days ago when cooking some 80/20 chuck burgers that the grease really put a damper on the heat. I was using kbb for fuel and had good heat at start. Anyone else have this problem?

Thanks - Jim

It doesn't make sense that the grease would cause the temp to decrease. The grease is flammable and, if anything, should make things hotter.

Bill

Try a two zone fire and sear on one side and cook on the other Jim. I think you'll find it easier to control the flare ups and get a juicier burger in the end. Some sear in the rear -- I like to sear burgers up front. ...and I like to dimple the burgers in the middle so when they puff up they equal out to a uniform patty. I don't press on them - I want that juice inside. I hope these ideas help.

Last edited:
I have this issue early in the dripping process, probably because there is more water in the dripping than grease. It tends to pick up later in the process when there are more flareups. Also a higher temp tends to get more immediate flare-ups from the grease, so the advice for more charcoal may also help with this...of course then your issue is with flare-ups, but it makes you look cool as you fight with them, so it is not all bad!

Thanks for all the thoughts guys. Are you all cooking burgers with lid on or off? I've been "lid on", to control flare ups.
Thks

Use more coals. Grease will not cause your fire to lose heat or die down. Putting the lid on gives less air flow and the
coals do not glow red when opened, but its the way that it was intended to be used from the beginning. It will be plenty
hot if given the right start.

Dwain - I think you and JSchleg nailed it....Your method to help alleviate the higher water content grease at the beginning of the cook. I'll give it a shot.

It is necessary to wait for the meat to release from the grate, otherwise you'll leave half your burgers on the grate trying to get under them to flip. If you sear long enough for the burgers to release from the grate, flip and do the same to the second side, aren't the burgers done at that point? I go 3 - 4 minutes on the first side, 3 minutes on the second side and at that point they are cooked. Consider carryover cooking too. My burgers are 80/20 chuck are no less than 3/4 inch thick and I grill over a very hot fire with the lid always on and the grate preheated for at least ten minutes. JMO

Last edited:

Back