Buckboard bacon and fuel question....

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
I have a 2 lb. pork butt in the fridge curing as I type. I used the Hi Mountain Buckboard Bacon cure. My question is - how much fuel do I use in my 18.5" WSM for a 2 lb. pork butt to smoke it? I've read that I need to run the smoker at 170 -200 degrees until I reach an internal temp of 140 degrees in the butt.

For those of you that have done this, do I go with the Minion method or a small chimney of lit? If I use the MM, how much unlit and how much lit?

With the temps the way they've been here at 5000 ft in Arizona, I might be able to set the WSM in the sun and skip the fuel
icon_biggrin.gif

As far as fuel, I want to use the last of a bag of Comp Kingsford I have. If there isn't enough of that for a 2 lb. butt, I'll go to my Royal Oak lump.

As always, any and all suggestions are very much appreciated! Thanks All!

Mike, set yourself up with enough charcoal and wood to keep a nice continuous smoke going for around 3 hours. Its tricky to get it to stay low and have enough heat to finish the bacon off at 140*. I usually use the smoker to lay on the smoke, then I finish in the oven after my fuel runs out. Its a less stressful process.

Thanks for the reply! Finishing in the oven was something that I didn't even think of... I was focused on doing it in the WSM for the entire time.

You could always start with a full ring and snuff it out once you're finished cooking the bacon. Or, open the vents, bring it up to temperature, and cook a chicken or a fatty on the remaining coals.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Finishing in the oven was something that I didn't even think of... I was focused on doing it in the WSM for the entire time. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, don't sweat it. Just do the best you can and pop it in a low oven to finish.

Back