Brisket rub

There's all kind of theories on this. I think salt and pepper is great. Rib rubs tend to have a lot of sugar which some feel doesn't go as well with beef. Do whatever makes you happy. You might throw down a light layer of kosher salt and then your rub depending on how much salt is in the rub. A brisket can handle a lot more salt than a rack of ribs.

and then on the other hand.........This is one of the very few recipes that I have for Brisket rubs that DO NOT call for sugar.

Brisket Rub

1 tsp. cayenne
1 tsp. curry powder
1 tsp. turmeric
1 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground cumin
1 TB chili powder
1 TB. paprika
dash of nutmeg

Source: "Chile Pepper mag." - R. Browne - 2005

Personally, I like my briskets rubbed with Big Poppa Smokers Cash Cow Beef Run.
Also great on a whole bunch of other foods...

Coarse ground pepper, and kosher salt here. Maybe with a touch of a beef rub (nothing sweet though).

Weber's Chicago steak seasoning opened up with a Mortar and pestle.
A little EVO and some Worshy sauce to make a paste.

Tim

Yep, do what you like.

For me, on brisket, I don't think you can beat just salt and black pepper. It lets the meat shine.
And it doesn't take that much either. I guess that would be a Texas brisket.

I've always like simple salt, garlic, black pepper.

I've gotten the liking of a sweet and spicy rub, brown sugar, black pepper, cayenne/chili powder, salt.

So here is how it went. No pictures. The brisket started out at 11.62 pounds but after trimming was probably about 8. First mistake was I trimmed too much fat off although I didn't scalp it. To help with that I laid three slaps of fat on top of the brisket while cooking. Oh yeah, I only used kosher salt, black pepper and a little Lowry's. Second mistake was the temp got up to 250 pretty quick and I was fighting a hot bullet. It sat at 250 for most of the cook even with the vents fully closed and yes, I had alot of water in the pan. So I foiled it at 179 and got it off at 209. Let it rest foiled for about an hour. So, total cook time was 6 hours and another hour in the foil. The point was jiggly tender. By far the best part of it. Man, was that good. The flat was dryer but OK I guess. I'll make some sandwiches out of that for my astronomy buddies tonight. In summary, trimmed too much fat, cooked it too hot, too quick and should have gotten it out of that foil at the 209 temp. I'm not a rookie, ben using the bullet for 10 years now but only my second brisket. Sometimes I think about just throwing the thermometers away as the feel test works for me. Thanks for the suggestions.

Mortons Coarse Kosher salt and Fresh Ground Black Pepper, 5050 mix. Could mix in some garlic powder but don't need much, like tasting the beef itself for a brisket.

Saw raichlen do a couple rubs yesterday. Some a bit different. The newspaper, and a korean based one. At first sounded blasphemous, but if thought of as a korean version of hoisin sauce.....

Last edited:

Back