Brisket question......

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I have been thinking about doing a brisket for Sunday. Weather is glorious -- for Minnesota -- at a forecast 53. That's tanning weather up here /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Anyway, I've been trying to track down a good whole brisket. I've called every butcher shop in my area and all of the whole briskets are sold frozen.

Is this ok?

I read in the ribs section here to never get frozen ribs if you can help it. Should I avoid frozen brisket as well, or is this ok?

Go buy it right now. Soak in cold water changing the water every two hours until bed time. Turn your refrigerator to its warmest setting. Put brisket in. Saturday morning continue soaking process changing water every two hours until till it seems to bend. Then season and refrigerate overnight and begin cooking early Sunday morning. This will work if you start now. It probably will work if you get the brisket 1st thing in the morning.

Good Lucj

Art,

I agree with Bruce. Though fresh is always better, it is just not feasible all the time. Most every butt and brisket flat I cook is frozen...by me. I wait for sales or until I can buy a case and then freeze the extras.

I thaw out in the fridge for a week and the meat tastes just fine.

Thanks for the replies guys. I ran to the meat market yesterday but got there too late. This morning I picked up a 13.5 pound brisket and started the thawing process when curiosity got the best of me and I took it to the WSM and found it was too big. So, instead of challenging myself to solve the issue, I tucked it BACK in the freezer and will have chicken instead.

I see there is a solution now and that brisket will be made next weekend. At least I've had some variety so far.

I've smoked or will have smoked ribs, meatloaf, chicken and brisket all within the first two weeks of ownership. My wife has not yet asked for the divorce /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Whatever happened with my brisket; it worked /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif . When I was cutting the flat all I had to do was apply a gentle force down. The knife just slid through the meat to the bottom chewy bits. I had to half the flat prior to cutting across the grain (so I do not have 15" long slices). The wife asked "why did the brisket turn out so tender this time."

Art, can?t you fridge thaw it like a turkey: take about four days in the fridge rather than a rush water bath? On the fifth day, rub it for cooking on the sixth day?

I think next time I will make burnt ends from the point to try. Either that or try to find a point for burnt ends. I also read somewhere about rubbing the whole brisket with yellow mustard before any spices. I thought that was a pork butt thing but read it for brisket.

I have enough brisket in the square Tilia foodsaver square bowl for dinner and enough already vacuum bagged and froze for another big meal, two regular meals and one small bag for BBQ beans.

Art...

You can also separate the flat from the point and cook them separately. The point will cook-up like a butt and the flat can be cooked in about 1 - 1 1/2hrs./lb. depending on the thickenss.

David,

That's what I plan on doing this week. The slow thaw for next week. Weather depending though. We had a 72 degree swing from last Sunday to this Sunday, so, all I know is I don't want to be cooking in 10 below for 15 hours /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif .

Keith,

Thanks. I was going to try, first, to see if I could fold it, as described in David's brisket thread. If not, I would do the cutting and until I read the brisket section I wouldn't have known what the point or the flat was, but, now, I'm armed with good info /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif . Hell of a good site here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back