Brisket Point Smoked Chili

Rich Dahl

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I developed a chili recipe a few years a using a pre smoked brisket point. It certainly isn’t a true contest chili but it’s very tasty and easy to make.
I had a point in the freezer from a brisket I smoked in July, decided it was time to use it.
I trimmed as much of the fat as I could and cut it into ½” cubes. Ended up with slightly over 1 ½ pounds.
Sautéed the onion and the hatch Chiles added the rest of the ingredients to the cast iron Dutch oven.
Fired up the performer with hickory and almond for the smoke.
Cooked for one hour stirring every 20 minutes.
It was remarkably good the brisket was melt in your mouth tender and with three different chilies and the cumin the flavors were outstanding with a nice smoky taste.
Sided with some homemade garlic bread

Brisket Point Smoked Chili

1 1/2 Lb. cooked brisket point sliced into small chunks.
½ medium onion chopped
1 can S & W low sodium chili beans.
1 can Rotel mild diced tomatoes
1 4oz can diced green chills or a diced pepper of your choice (I use two Hatch peppers).
1 15 oz. can of no salt tomato sauce
1 tsp. California chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp Penzeys regular chili powder
1 tsp Penzeys chili 3000
1tsp Mexican oregano
½ cup beef broth and more as needed

If brisket point are not available 1 1/2 Lb. hickory smoked chuck roast seasoned with Weber’s dry rub original can be substituted.

Sauté the onion and the pepper in a cast iron Dutch oven smoke with no lid and the smoke of your choice for one hour stirring every 20 minutes.

Check the flavor and add more spices as needed or if the chili gets to thick add a little more beef broth.

100_5646.JPG
100_5647.JPG
100_5652.JPG
100_5660.JPG
100_5663.JPG

I would love this if someone else made it, but you would likely
have to hold a gun to my head to do anything with a brisket
point besides make burnt ends. :D

I would love this if someone else made it, but you would likely
have to hold a gun to my head to do anything with a brisket
point besides make burnt ends. :D

Dave, I can just about guarantee that you'd love a smoked brisket chili. I've been using smoked brisket in chili for a few years, and some of the best chili I've ever made was with a smoked packer and a pint of homebrew sweet stout. It was a runaway winner in the Texas Red category at my homebrew club's chili cook-off. Everybody raved about it. I haven't smoked the final product, just the protein that's gone into it. Something I've been intending on doing is to smoke the vege as well prior to assembling the chili. All sorts of different ways to get a good smoke in chili.

Rich, that looks tasty! My go-to chili uses smoked brisket, too. I posted it HERE a few years back. The brisket isn't a requirement, but using it punches the flavor up several notches versus just ground/cubed meat.

R

Rich, this looks absolute delicious! I don’t have any of the Penzy’s seasonings, so could you recommend a substitute, or will any chili seasoning work as a substitute? I have to agree with Mark, the fact that this is in a Dutch oven just adds to the appeal!
thanks for sharing,
Tim

Rich, this looks absolute delicious! I don’t have any of the Penzy’s seasonings, so could you recommend a substitute, or will any chili seasoning work as a substitute? I have to agree with Mark, the fact that this is in a Dutch oven just adds to the appeal!
thanks for sharing,
Tim
Tim, Tampico the red and yellow clear packets most larger markets carry have a variety of chilis that are quite good. In a pinch though use what you can find try to avoid the McCormick types as they are a blend and not a pure chili.

Beyond that.... I've started tinkering with Alton Brown's chili powder recipe. We like it better than Penzey's, but you'll either need to mail order the dried chilies, or find a well stocked mercado.

Back