Brisket Number 3

Greg in Utah

TVWBB Pro
Yesterday I cooked my third brisket (ever) in my 18.5" WSM. My previous two were nothing to write home about but they were just flats.

Since I visited some of the Texas BBQ shrines my appreciation and interest in this cut of meat went up exponentially.

IMG_0105.jpg

That is an 11 pound packer, fat side down, rubbed with coarse ground salt and pepper. Fuel was Royal Oak lump with a bunch of soaked Jack Daniels oak chips. Meat went on the WSM at 6:20 AM.

Meat was smoked @ 225 for the first hour and then the vents were opened up. Meat was probed with a skewer to determine doneness. No foil, spritzing, mopping, Human Growth Hormone, MSG, sugar, sauce or other foolishness was done to it.

Today I had a proper Texas meat market style lunch.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

DSC_0001.jpg

Very tender, moist and the oak smoke and beef are perfect together.

I think I NEED a 22.5" WSM for bigger packers...
Don't you agree?
icon_biggrin.gif

Great looking brisket Greg.

Larger packers tend to get thicker and not necessarily that much longer. You can always bend them and wedge them between the grill handles and they will shrink as they cook and lay flat after awhile. Put a little foil to protect the ends from excess heat. Lots of guys/gals here do that.

If it were laying on butcher paper I would swear it was a meal we had a Smittys in Lockhart,texas a while back.

Originally posted by glen jones:
If it were laying on butcher paper I would swear it was a meal we had a Smittys in Lockhart,texas a while back.

I LOVE the way they serve barbecue at places like Smittys. Thanks for the comparison - I'm craving a trip back.

Thanks All, I'm getting better each time, someday I'll think I've nailed it.

Originally posted by Bob Sample:
Larger packers tend to get thicker and not necessarily that much longer. You can always bend them and wedge them between the grill handles and they will shrink as they cook and lay flat after awhile. Put a little foil to protect the ends from excess heat. Lots of guys/gals here do that.

Agreed, the 13lb one I did last weekend had to be bent on the thinner end, but it was only hanging over the edge by about an inch.

Great looking brisket Greg! Frequent trip to Austin are what got me started on BBQ! If you go back you've got to try Franklins. Best BBQ ever!!

That looks excellent, Greg!

On the brisket size ... I've done an 18 and a couple of 16+ packers on my 18.5 with no problems. Like it was already mentioned, just wedge 'em between the handles. Easy peasy.

Back