Brisket for 2

Andy Kaminski

TVWBB Pro
I dig brisket but normally there is only 2 of us.
What do you guys do?
There is a good price on nice briskets right now at Pack and Save in Danville at $3.40 per pound.
Them 16 pounders are looking good and are pretty affordable so I want to get one or two.

I’m thinking about cutting one up into a point and 2 or 3 flats.
Maybe grinding some of the flats for burgers, some for the crock pot and so on.

Freezing cooked brisket has never worked out for me.
thoughts?

Brisket makes for good burger meat, stew meat, corned beef, pastrami or just about anything you'd use ground beef for.. With the price of chuck and round what it is, brisket is a pretty good deal at that price.

Just two of us as well. Somehow, 16# packer briskets are never a problem. Your yield will likely be about 45-55%. Sometimes I take some to friends but mostly it is dinner plus a few lunches for each of us. The pups get a few very small pieces as well.

Sliced point freezes well with a food saver. Sliced or unsliced flat is never great frozen. I've frozen chopped brisket, usually from the ends, with sauce with good results.

Just two of us as well. We freeze chunks of left over brisket for other meals.
Brisket chopped up to add to a batch of chili or to make brisket Mac and cheese.
I'm getting hungry thinking about it.

I dig brisket but normally there is only 2 of us.
What do you guys do?
There is a good price on nice briskets right now at Pack and Save in Danville at $3.40 per pound.
Them 16 pounders are looking good and are pretty affordable so I want to get one or two.

I’m thinking about cutting one up into a point and 2 or 3 flats.
Maybe grinding some of the flats for burgers, some for the crock pot and so on.

Freezing cooked brisket has never worked out for me.
thoughts?
4 (3?) words for you: brisket. style. tri. tip.

Invite friends over.
Or my favorite.............vac pack all leftovers in nice size portions that you can use to make Sheppard's pie or stew or just warm back up for 2 for dinner again......sous vide is your friend for the last option.
Feel like a brisket sandwich and you are home alone.....warm up that small one and get it on a bun, just like you cooked it last night.

I cook a full packer for 2. Eat about 1/2 in 2-3 days, slice , vac seal, and , freeze remainder in two serving sizes.

It's really is not as much meat as you think. You can start with a 18 lb brisket, trim 3-4 lb fat off of it, and end up with 7-8 lb net meat after cooking. The first meal alone (lunch,) my wife and I probably eat 1.5 lb. Then about another pound for dinner. So it's really 1/4-1/3 gone already first day. By the second day my wife doesn't want to eat brisket, but I might eat it for 4 day straight... Then freeze what's left

Here's one I cooked a few weeks ago it was a 12 lb choice brisket, did not trim much fat off . It had as much meat as a lot of much bigger briskets I've cooked. 😱 This is what was left after my wife and I ate lunch.... And the dog gets her little bit too....

Attachments

• PXL_20220626_155521224.jpg
    PXL_20220626_155521224.jpg
    140.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20220626_160936761.jpg
    PXL_20220626_160936761.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Only 2 in our household, which is why only buy brisket points, which are readily available here. I just picked up a prime point from Costco yesterday for $3.99/lb.

We did a 15lb one a few weeks ago. Trimmed 4lbs of fat that made a quart and half of tallow + cracklings. !/2 the cooked meat got vac sealed in freezer the other 1/2 was eaten with kasha and veggies, and some BBQ sandwiches for lunch. Very yummy

Leave the meat frozen whole till you want to grind it, it goes south faster when frozen ground. Kroger's has a sale $1.99lbs, bought 8 of them, smoked 1 and1 goes to the son then grinding 1 this weekend, others are frozen for a little while lol

$1.99???
I thought $3.40 was good.
I need me a Krogers.
Recently I saw a flat going for just under $12 per pound at a Safeway store.
It was a thin puny cut of meat that cost near $60.

QFC, where you live in Sequim, is owned by Kroger’s. So is Fred Meyer in the NW. They all have different ads and pricing, though.

Kind of gave up on brisket. Just the two of us also and being in our mid 70's don't eat as much as we used too. The only place to get it here is Costco, not that that is a bad thing but a whole packer is just too much for us.

I kind of gave up on it myself got some good BBQ joints local I just pay the man when we go out to eat. Neither one of us are big leftover fans and there are only 2 of us also, son in law and my daughter live local they are not brisket fans also. I am starting to do ribs more frequently as those are gone with the 4 of us in a sitting not a big fan of leftover ribs either.

Trimming mercilessly will give you a nice pile of meat and fat to grind up for burgers. Cooked brisket freezes well in hunks and can be slow reheated with a little beef stock to keep it moist. And then there’s my favorite use for the leftovers - smoked brisket chili. Use your favorite recipe and go easy on the salt since the brisket bark will provide plenty of seasoning. Three pounds of leftovers will make about 2 gallons of chili that you can freeze in convenient portions.
Jeff

I cut full packers into two flats and the point. I smoke the point, and usually make corned beef and/or pastrami from the flats. Two of us also most of the time...

Back