Brisket flat

Tom_M

TVWBB Super Fan
Lots of good eats been posted here lately. I've been doing a lot of cooking, but not much picher taking so I thought I'd make up for that with a brisket. 6.27 USDA Choice flat from Sam's rubbed with a generous amount of Montreal Steak Seasoning and Turbinado sugar.

18.5 WSM loaded with three chunks of red oak and Kingsford.

009.jpg

Minion start with a handful of salvaged briquettes.

011-3.jpg

Brisket loaded into the smoker and probe inserted.

013-3.jpg

And, the final product, plated with some potatoes and onions.

022.jpg

025.jpg

Finally, my favorite way to eat brisket. Smothered under a couple easy over eggs and homemade biscuits.

029.jpg

Looks great! I also like to incorporate my smoked meats into breakfast.

I always cook packers. After seeing this, maybe I need to try a flat once in a while.

Good looking brisket. I've never used red oak. I normally use mesquite, hickory, or oak for beef. Does it have a strong flavor?

Looks great! I also like to incorporate my smoked meats into breakfast.

I always cook packers. After seeing this, maybe I need to try a flat once in a while.

I usually do whole packers as well, but the display case at Sam's was pretty well picked over and this flat was the best looking one left.

Good looking brisket. I've never used red oak. I normally use mesquite, hickory, or oak for beef. Does it have a strong flavor?

I don't think it does, I've also used white oak and can't really tell much difference between them. Oak just seems like the perfect wood for beef.

Just goes to prove you can do almost anything with brisket. Right Dwain?

Hey, I decided to use this thread because I have an answer (my opinion) for your question. But first I want to say that after the brisket tacos and the WSM as a warming device, I did as I said and looked up a bunch of your more recent posts. I have to say that I've been noticing what you have to say while not paying special attention to your name until the tacos. Now you go right up to the top of my list of TVWBB posters that I pay special attention to -- you're in some pretty select company!

As far as the red oak, I highly recommend it -- it's my goto wood. I prefer it to hickory (which is readily available to me also) and only cherry has a distinctively different flavor that I also really like. Mesquite is ok, but not a big thrill for me (I got mine while passing through Texas a couple of years ago).

You say you use "oak" which assume is white oak but may be pin oak, swamp oak or water oak for all I know. I haven't used white oak, but my assumption is that they would be similar, but red oak a little more "character". Anyone else care to comment on that? Regardless, I have plenty in my shop and will try it out for myself.

So sorry, Tom, for hijacking your thread. Those are some great looking eats you showed. I hope someone may benefit from my red oak thoughts and I appreciate the chance to give a "thumbs up" to Dwain for all his contributions.

BTW, do you suppose you could get a smoke ring on eggs? :confused:

Rich

Rich, not a hijack at all, glad to read read your comments on oak wood. I have used some white oak, and I agree with you the red is better, stronger I think. I do have some bourbon barrel oak staves from a Kentucky distillery and those are fantastic.

Back