brisket - flat only

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hi everyone,
I've been smoking for about 6 months now on an ECB and just got my WSM 2 weeks ago. I am amazed at the control I have over the temp!
I want to do a brisket this weekend and have a couple of questions. The brisket I have is the flat only- about 5.5lbs in cryovac. Do I still smoke this at app. 1.5hrs/lb and what is my final internal temp? I have seen both 185 and 205 on this site. Oh, and has anyone used Montreal steak rub on a brisket? Thanks in advance.
Gary T.

Hi Gary,

A brisket can take anywhere from 1.5 to 2 hrs/lb. The internal finishing temp can vary, that?s why you see the range of temps. I start checking mine when they reach 185 and then every five deg increase in temp until done. When you can stick the temp probe through the flat and pull it out with very little resistance then it is done.

I haven?t used Montreal steak rub but from what I heard it should work real well.

rj

Tenderness is the biggest issue anywhere from 185 to 200. I would stay away from 200 as a cooking temp, it is a little cool and can lead to drying. Montreal steak rub will work as it will if you mix it with equal parts sugar, dark chili powder and a little kosher salt.
HTH,

Well it turned out outstanding! It came out VERY moist and VERY juicey. I used a rub consisting of montreal steak seasoning, brown sugar, pure cane sugar, and a little cayenne pepper. It cooked 9 hours (Minion method) to 191 internal temp. I used a mix of hickory and oak for the smoke.
I just want to thank everyone involved with this site. This was my first semi-long cook and everything was great! Couldn't have done it without ya.
Gary T.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back