Brisket finish temp question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
Where do folks aim to finish (take off the smoker) their brisket?

I just finished my 2nd/3rd briskets. I'm using the rub from Smoke & Spice (this is really good.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif The briskets were from Costco and weighed about 4.5 lbs a piece. They appeared to each be only half a brisket, probably the flats but I'm no expert.

I followed the advice listed in the cooking section here and aimed at about 190. They came off great. One I was able to slice quite nicely. The other kind of fell apart as I sliced it. That one I thought tasted a little better than the other.

I really like the brisket texture at our local "Famous Dave's". It is much more tender/falling apart then what I have cooked so far. Do people use higher finish temps than 190?

Thanks,
-Matt
_

Those had to be flats. Some take brisket up as high as 205. I usually cook to 185, remove, wrap in foil and it goes up to 190 on its own. Maybe you were not slicing across the grain with the one that "fell apart"?

Most people that compete try to finish the brisket so that after cutting it takes just a little tug to pull apart the slice. If you are taking it beyond that towards the "pot roast" stage it is still good eating but beyond where the judges are looking for. Briskets will be different, you can cook two just alike and they will end up different. Experienced brisket cooks can stick a fork into them and tell if they have given up yet. I use a fork but watch my polder closely and usually pull at 190. I have had some turbo on me before I get out of bed and have pulled them at 205. They were still good, just probably would not have gotten me a blue ribben.

I usually pull mine off between 175-185 and wrap in foil for about 45 minutes prior to slicing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back