Brisket Chili - Flat Goes Into Chili, Point Saved For Smoking...

John K BBQ

TVWBB All-Star
I saw this today and thought it was an interesting use of a whole packer brisket. I may give this a whirl sometime soon. Love chili, and I have a pretty strong preference for smoked point slices vs flat so.... this seems like a winner for me. Give it a watch and let me know what you think!

a flat pastrami is always good..... just sayin.

what i don't like about brisket chili is brisket is stringy when cooked in liquid, and it can become chewy. i prefer a chuck in chili as it holds better texture. but that's just my opinion, yours might be different.

leave the fat cap on a flat pastrami and and brine, rub and smoke it. then steam and slice it.

your call. it's your flat.

a flat pastrami is always good..... just sayin.

what i don't like about brisket chili is brisket is stringy when cooked in liquid, and it can become chewy. i prefer a chuck in chili as it holds better texture. but that's just my opinion, yours might be different.

leave the fat cap on a flat pastrami and and brine, rub and smoke it. then steam and slice it.

your call. it's your flat.
The lady in the video more less dices up the flat, so that way if it did get stringy - at least the strings are short. I have made chuck roast chili a couple of times and I agree it's very good. I need to talk to my people about the pastrami idea.... I like pastrami but Mrs John K BBQ can be a picky eater - I may have to "sell" it...

Looks like nice chili. Just needs some beans.......
I knew someone might bring beans into the discussion :) I really like chili both ways... but my preference is to have beans with a ground beef chili. Ground beef chili w/out beans is kinda weird to me... I think the only use for that is a chili dog, or chili cheese burger. I have put beans in my stew meat chili, and that works out pretty nice unless you put too many beans in there.....

I usually slice the flat and save the point for chili.

Got to be careful when you put any meat into something like chili or stew that's not ground. It only takes about 1 hour of simmering and meat chunks fall completely apart into fibers. Got to be careful not to over cook those. If you screw up and have too much water your options for cooking it down are limited unless you take the meat out at some point.

I can go beans or no beans I like them both. Although real chili has no beans. And when it gets down to it beans are just filler. They can also have pretty good after effects

This one looks pretty good. I like the idea of the cup of strong coffee in it. I've got book of just chili recipes, many purported championship recipes from Texas and New Mexico, and I haven't been interested enough in most to make them. Some are ridiculously difficult and time consuming.

Last edited:

Back