Brisket - baked or braised?

Mark Foreman

TVWBB All-Star
Have a 4lb brisket flat from my local CSA farm. Want to do something other than smoke, chili, or pastrami. Saw many recipes for braised/baked brisket. Any suggestions?

I did see the Gordon Ramsey video here but want to look at different way to cook it before I decide.

I've been meaning to try this.
I dunno if 4# would work?
Wow… this could be good. Going to look closer.

thanks!!

This is how we braise brisket for Christmas.

would you like an old Jewish style brisket recipe? seared on stovetop, then cooked in its own juices? i'm making one Thursday for Passover.

This one:

1649716409676.jpeg

this is like mine BUT:
NO tomatoes
NO Carrots
NO Celery
NO Sugar
NO Vinegar
Instead of chicken or beef stock, just add 4 cups water

S&P, generously on a gently trimmed brisket.
on a cooktop in a heavy oven safe pan, sear brisket fat side down with a small amount of oil in the pn to help promote browning, around 5-7 mins on medium high heat.
flip and brown meat side next, similar time, till brown.
next add sliced or diced onion and whole garlic cloves. saute until unions wilt. avoid burning the garlic and onions.
lower the heat if onions or garlic is browning too quickly.
preheat oven to convection bake 425F or bake 450F.
add 4 cups water to pan with the brisket and onions in it.
shut off cooktop heat.
with ovenproof gloves, fully seal brisket in pan with the water, onions and garlic. i use heavy duty foil and ensure a complete seal.
place in oven for one hour.
after one hour, remove pan from oven.
take brisket out of pan and slice into 1/4 inch slices and place back in pan with it juices.
re-cover pan and fully seal it.
reduce oven temp to bake 300 or convection 275.
place back in oven for 2.5 hours.
check for doneness at this stage
we like this brisket cooked till you can easily cut a piece with a fork. this might take 2.5-3.25 hours for just a flat.
i usually cook this as a whole brisket, point and flat, and my total cook time is around 5 hours.
when brisket is done, skim off fatty/oily layer of the jus.
you can reduce some of the jus but be careful to not over reduce to avoid creating an over-salted jus.

serve and enjoy.
note: we DO NOT like sweet beef thus we never make this with sugar. AND this is not German style, so we NEVER use vinegar. my version is a traditional NY Jewish oven baked brisket. this is my family's similar type recipe that's over 100 years old.

Have a 4lb brisket flat from my local CSA farm. Want to do something other than smoke, chili, or pastrami. Saw many recipes for braised/baked brisket. Any suggestions?

I did see the Gordon Ramsey video here but want to look at different way to cook it before I decide.
if ever you want a good read, i recco this cookbook: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0375402764/?tag=tvwb-20

and this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/089480698X/?tag=tvwb-20

both are in my collection.

Last edited:

this is like mine BUT:
NO tomatoes
NO Carrots
NO Celery
NO Sugar
NO Vinegar

on a cooktop in a heavy oven safe pan, sear brisket fat side down with a small amount of oil in the pn to help promote browning, around 5-7 mins on medium high heat.
next add sliced or diced onion and whole garlic cloves. saute until unions wilt. avoid burning the garlic and onions.
shut off cooktop heat.
with ovenproof gloves, fully seal brisket in pan with the water, onions and garlic. i use heavy duty foil and ensure a complete seal.
take brisket out of pan and slice into 1/4 inch slices and place back in pan with it juices.
we like this brisket cooked till you can easily cut a piece with a fork. this might take 2.5-3.25 hours for just a flat.
i usually cook this as a whole brisket, point and flat, and my total cook time is around 5 hours.
you can reduce some of the jus but be careful to not over reduce to avoid creating an over-salted jus.

serve and enjoy.
note: we DO NOT like sweet beef thus we never make this with sugar. AND this is not German style, so we NEVER use vinegar. my version is a traditional NY Jewish oven baked brisket. this is my family's similar type recipe that's over 100 years old.
My Mom used to make the Jewish version with chili sauce, which was not my favorite. I don't like sweet meat, either. I'm going to try your version for Passover. Any reason you don't use beef stock because I'm tempted to use low sodium beef stock.

My Mom used to make the Jewish version with chili sauce, which was not my favorite. I don't like sweet meat, either. I'm going to try your version for Passover. Any reason you don't use beef stock because I'm tempted to use low sodium beef stock.
yes, the brisket in that water will create its own stock. and since you're salting the beef as part fo the cook, the stock will pick up that flavor. it's always easy to add salt than to remove it. so with stocks, i lightly salt upfront and finish-season at the end to get the profile correct. too much salt, in too many ingredients and you're f*&C)d on taste, almost uncorrectable. YES, I speak from experience. i've over salted in my younger game. i try not to replicate that failure in my older game.

Note, if you're doing a whole brisket, point and flat, cut the brisket in half at the junction so you can sear two more easily managebale pieces. you;re going to slice the beef anyway so doing it raw won't jack up your applecart when you make your slices. AND if you're doing a whole brisket, up your water to 8 cups.

I offered @Mark Foreman a smaller version of my recipe due to his 4# flat. and 4 cups of H2O would be perfect for his 4#'er.

I'll be starting my brisket pot roast thread very soon. so that i can document the cook for others who care to make a traditional savor Jewish pot roast brisket.

Happy Passover, @Mark Silver. I'll be making a full menu, as usual. Two night of 8 people each night.

this is like mine BUT:
NO tomatoes
NO Carrots
NO Celery
NO Sugar
NO Vinegar

shut off cooktop heat.

serve and enjoy.
Going to cook it per the attachment as I want all the veggies. Will most likely serve with buttermilk biscuits and parsley potatoes.

Briskets in the oven at 275. Weighs a bit over 3 lbs. Cut off half for chili and shredded beef sandwiches.
Using the overnight method.

THANKS Brett and Chris for the ideas! It’s appreciated.
Serving with parsley potatoes and Michigan 4 berry pie (crumb topping).
Pictures to follow.

This is how we braise brisket for Christmas.

Thanks for sharing that Chris. I have a few corn beef flats we picked up on the cheap going to try one of those with your MILs recipe.

Back