Brining A Whole Pig

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
I am using the apple brine from the poultry section of this site to brine a whole pig. Pig was 42.8 pounds dressed. It will sit in the brine for about 48 hours. I will cooking it in a La Caja China this coming Saturday.

You gonna put that bad boy on your 22"?

This is gonna be good :)

Edit; I see your not cooking on your 22, still this should be good to follow

Thats going to be a very interesting cook, looking forward to the results. Haven't had pig in years I do remember it was good.

I'm stoked to see how a full pig, brined, turns out.

Also, just impressed how you stuffed the whole thing in that cooler!

I got this little piggy from the local Mexican Carniceria. The meat was very tasty and succulent. I thoroughly rinsed the pig before putting it in the Caja China. The skin did get a little darker than I wanted due to the sugar in the brine. However, the skin also tasted fantastic. It really picked up the flavors of the brine.

Very tasty multitasking.

Made 3 homemade BBQ sauces, an Asian Hoisin sauce, Sour Orange, and traditional sweet and sticky.

Dan - that looks really good. Good call on the brine!

Love the cooker too - we call those Cajun Microwaves down here in south Louisiana...

Regards,

John

Tremendous. Love seeing the whole process. Bravo! Did the brining help retain moisture on the lean cuts?

The brine was great at retaining moisture and adding flavor to the meat. I did one on the 4th of July that wasn't brined. This pig was far tastier.

Back