bought this beauty for 50 dollars

my question is if they sell the cook box and how much is it if I can't get it through warranty. secondly, any tips or tricks on restoring this baby would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20201019_212632.jpg
    20201019_212632.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 20201019_212706.jpg
    20201019_212706.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 20201019_212657.jpg
    20201019_212657.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 68
  • 20201019_212653.jpg
    20201019_212653.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 61
  • 20201019_212650.jpg
    20201019_212650.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 59
  • 20201019_212717.jpg
    20201019_212717.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 67
Really too bad you did not do research. Honestly you threw $50 away. Even if Weber could warranty it they would not because you're not original owner. Nice cabinet though

Welcome to the forum Paul. First, you should register it with Weber using the serial # on the label on the grill. That will give you the specifications of the grill. Then call Weber to get discounted prices on parts. Not sure what year it was made and if any parts still under warranty.

Welcome to the forum Paul. First, you should register it with Weber using the serial # on the label on the grill. That will give you the specifications of the grill. Then call Weber to get discounted prices on parts. Not sure what year it was made and if any parts still under warranty.
thank you. I tried registering it last night but it seems to be registered to someone already. I can't even seem to find a serial number but there's a faded tag on the side and I kind of guessed the serial number that I used to try to register it. I'll be giving them a call soon. thanks.

I have successfully registered some as a “Gift” with some success. But, now that you’ve tried it that may be off the table.
Geeze, Larry nice way to welcome a new member, just rain on someone’s parade! Your caveat is not erroneous but, a touch harsh, don’t you think?
Paul, welcome to the forum, Larry is a fabulous source of information and since even he thinks the cabinet is good, you may have some serious investment in parts and labour but, you might end up with something useable.

Hi Paul, and welcome!

In case you're wondering, this style of Summit Platinum C4 with the "asterisk wheels" was made from 2003 to 2005. C4 includes side burner and dedicated smoke burner.

Best,
Chris

Note: Corrected the model. It's Summit, not Genesis.

Last edited:
I have successfully registered some as a “Gift” with some success. But, now that you’ve tried it that may be off the table.
Geeze, Larry nice way to welcome a new member, just rain on someone’s parade! Your caveat is not erroneous but, a touch harsh, don’t you think?
Paul, welcome to the forum, Larry is a fabulous source of information and since even he thinks the cabinet is good, you may have some serious investment in parts and labour but, you might end up with something useable.
I'm actually on the phone with them now and was able to register it under our name. currently emailing them pics to see if it's covered under warranty. thank you for your response. And I don't mind Larry at all. I've read through some threads and can understand his fustration with weber.

Hi Paul, Thanks for the fuel answer. Trying to convert from Natural Gas to Propane with your other issues might be too much.

Kind of a hack... If you can't get a firebox or a lid that is in better shape you can go over the rust through areas with metal.

You want to keep the flames inside the firebox.

You want to keep metal from falling off the lid liner into food

ok so just got off the phone with weber. good and bad news. good news is that they let me register the grill in our name and the cook box and lid are still under warranty. bad news is that they no longer make my cook box. so they're sending me a new lid and the heat shield in the front that is completely rusted free of charge. I can't complain about that. can't wait to fix her up.

That's a reasonable solution. If the warranty period hasn't expired they really should keep making parts. I will give them credit for at least trying to help you. Since you weren't the original owner you got off lucky. That Platinum version with stainless cabinetry and frame makes that grill worth restoring. Since you are fixing the one major problem, I think you will have a really nice grill when you are done. Keep us posted with restore pictures!

That's a reasonable solution. If the warranty period hasn't expired they really should keep making parts. I will give them credit for at least trying to help you. Since you weren't the original owner you got off lucky. That Platinum version with stainless cabinetry and frame makes that grill worth restoring. Since you are fixing the one major problem, I think you will have a really nice grill when you are done. Keep us posted with restore pictures!
yes i thought so too. i cant complain tbh. ill just have to figure out how to put everything together. the grill came with an incomplete ingnitor kit which i just ordered. ill def keep this thread going and updated.

Wasn't meant to be harsh. Just realistic. I find it amazing Weber is covering one part under warranty even when they know full well it's not an original owner. Now just ad one more frustration with Weber. When I originally responded to him BTW it was on another post and it was not clear he had already made the purchase. I had simply done a cut and paste. And I find it so odd how reps at Weber decide on what/who they will cover. I have never explained this one before. My brother is married (relatively recently) to a woman, who had bought a Summit grill under her previously married name. (yes he's her second and she's his third for the record LOL). He asked me to go through it not long ago and I noted there were some things rusted )like the firebox and such, truly what should be warranty that Weber will NOT cover. Why? Because they don't believe she is the original owner, she obviously does not have the receipt to show and it was her ex husband who had actually registered the grill. So now here we have someone new here (welcome btw) who openly tells Weber he bought it used and they GIVE HIM STUFF?! Just count me as SMDH

Wasn't meant to be harsh. Just realistic. I find it amazing Weber is covering one part under warranty even when they know full well it's not an original owner. Now just ad one more frustration with Weber. When I originally responded to him BTW it was on another post and it was not clear he had already made the purchase. I had simply done a cut and paste. And I find it so odd how reps at Weber decide on what/who they will cover. I have never explained this one before. My brother is married (relatively recently) to a woman, who had bought a Summit grill under her previously married name. (yes he's her second and she's his third for the record LOL). He asked me to go through it not long ago and I noted there were some things rusted )like the firebox and such, truly what should be warranty that Weber will NOT cover. Why? Because they don't believe she is the original owner, she obviously does not have the receipt to show and it was her ex husband who had actually registered the grill. So now here we have someone new here (welcome btw) who openly tells Weber he bought it used and they GIVE HIM STUFF?! Just count me as SMDH
I actually told them it was a gift. and thank you for the welcome.

btw....I think they're sending me the wrong complimentary part. the lady said heat shield, but when I looked at the parts of the grill, the rusted out part is called an ir rain guard or something like that. fortunately I work in a machine shop and our sheet metal fabricator guy said that he can bend that part for me.

btw....I think they're sending me the wrong complimentary part. the lady said heat shield, but when I looked at the parts of the grill, the rusted out part is called an ir rain guard or something like that. fortunately I work in a machine shop and our sheet metal fabricator guy said that he can bend that part for me.

This happens often. I think Weber has outsourced some of their customer service to overseas.

I recently warrantied a Kettle for a friend. They were supposed to send a new lid. They sent a new bowl. I told them that they sent the wrong part (sent pictures, tracking numbers, etc...). They placed a new order for another lid, and they sent ANOTHER BOWL!!! They finally ended up getting it right the third time.

My friend gave me the two extra bowls since he has no use for them. Kind of neat since they are the new bowl with the new "P-shaped" bottom vents. LOL

I know a lady that worked remote for Weber. This was 5 or 6 years ago. She did C/S from her home in Wisconsin.

This happens often. I think Weber has outsourced some of their customer service to overseas.

I recently warrantied a Kettle for a friend. They were supposed to send a new lid. They sent a new bowl. I told them that they sent the wrong part (sent pictures, tracking numbers, etc...). They placed a new order for another lid, and they sent ANOTHER BOWL!!! They finally ended up getting it right the third time.

My friend gave me the two extra bowls since he has no use for them. Kind of neat since they are the new bowl with the new "P-shaped" bottom vents. LOL
nice... sounds like it was worth the hassle lol.

Back