Bought another gasser….

TimA

TVWBB All-Star
So, for a self admitted non-fan of gas grills, I’ve certainly gone over the edge.

In addition to my Genesis 5 I picked up last month, I picked up this little Sheila today at an auction, $50.
9FC041B5-85AC-4090-A95C-1CA3116DC1B3.jpegBFD7CB4E-B951-4A55-8F91-14291E2940D4.jpeg
She’s an ‘02 Genesis Gold B, stainless obviously. And I just said I don’t really like the plastic end tables but….oh well.

494C2DA6-C171-47EC-AC82-34515C4B84F6.jpeg

I’m going to have to take these off and straighten. Not sure any are available aftermarket or from Weber.
85160917-F1BA-4722-962C-CBE4183DEA8E.jpeg
Both are tweaked but looks fairly simple.

Puts me at four gassers; ‘97 Genesis redhead, ‘16 Spirit E330, my ~’89 Genesis 5 and this.

I’m going to have to take these off and straighten. Not sure any are available aftermarket or from Weber.
Those rails are still available from Weber if you need new ones. I would definitely try removing them and straightening them first. For some reason they went from being held on with two screws (Genesis 1000) to only using one on those models which is not as sturdy.

I wonder what the difference is? I'm just familiar with what Tim posted in his picture above where the rail is just held on in the middle with one screw.
There are tabs that go in the other holes to keep the rails from rotating, Some have 2 screws per rail with no tabs

There are tabs that go in the other holes to keep the rails from rotating, Some have 2 screws per rail with no tabs
Right, my Genesis 1000 has two screws. The only design I'm familiar with on the Silver B has a single screw in the middle.

I wonder what the difference is? I'm just familiar with what Tim posted in his picture above where the rail is just held on in the middle with one screw.
I've seen both types. The earlier Silvers had two screws per rail and the later ones had one. The rails that have two screws are plated steel and the the ones with one screw are aluminum. Most (if not all) of the one-hole rails I've seen were in SWE grills. Tim's new grill there has an SWE frame (so one-hole rails make sense) - but when did they come out with SWE. I thought it was later than 02???

I've seen both types. The earlier Silvers had two screws per rail and the later ones had one. The rails that have two screws are plated steel and the the ones with one screw are aluminum. Most (if not all) of the one-hole rails I've seen were in SWE grills. Tim's new grill there has an SWE frame (so one-hole rails make sense) - but when did they come out with SWE. I thought it was later than 02???
Ok, that makes sense. The last one I screwed around with was a 2002 and it only had the one middle screw. Of course that doesn't necessarily mean they changed the box, maybe just the replacement part.

Tim, I think you can easily straighten out those rails. I'm not totally sure but I think I found that the cast bosses in the cookbox where the little tabs plug in (to keep the rails from turning) are the same bosses as on the earlier boxes - they just added a center boss for the single screw. So, the single-screw rails could probably be replaced with two-screw rails just by carefully cutting threads in those outer bosses with some new self tapping screws. You could probably also remove the tabs on the single-screw rails, drill out the oblong holes a little, and mount them with two or even three screws. The good thing about the aluminum rails is they won't rust.

Mine were bent, too. I removed and straightened them, then reinstalled the self-tappers with a liberal coating of Never-Seez ( or whatever anti-sieze you may have on hand ).

1692492863300.png

Tim, I think you can easily straighten out those rails. I'm not totally sure but I think I found that the cast bosses in the cookbox where the little tabs plug in (to keep the rails from turning) are the same bosses as on the earlier boxes - they just added a center boss for the single screw. So, the single-screw rails could probably be replaced with two-screw rails just by carefully cutting threads in those outer bosses with some new self tapping screws. You could probably also remove the tabs on the single-screw rails, drill out the oblong holes a little, and mount them with two or even three screws. The good thing about the aluminum rails is they won't rust.
John, here is replacement lid for the gold or platinum grills

My rehabs come like that all the time. I just remove them and straighten them out. Not really hard to do at all. Then, I flatten the tabs and drill holes where the two outside mounts go. Then, I re-install them with two screws each since the cook box has the mounts for it. I guess weber saved $.13 on each grill by using two screws instead of four. SMH.

Wow, I’m definitely going to have to look at those rails again. They aren’t bent too bad, I’ve got autobody training and background so it should be pretty easy for myself. I didn’t even look at how they were mourned, impending rain so snapped quick pics is all.

I’m drawing a blank. SWE?

I’m pretty excited. I foresee a couple older Genesis grills coming, I’d like to hunt down a green for the gf, and one for the kids as they move out, start them on a kettle then gift a good Genesis. The new stuff is cool but just isn’t the same.

I guess weber saved $.13 on each grill by using two screws instead of four. SMH.
Now hold up just a gol-durn minute, here, Bruce. You do your best to drive the cost out of your rehabs, right? Same thing for Weber. Nobody sets out to put out an inferior product.

Back